Macbook Pro and iPhone 7 unable to AirPlay to Apple TV3

MitzEclipse

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Hi all

For some reason I cannot AirPlay my Macbook Pro and iPhone 7 to my Apple TV3. Used to be able to AirPlay before - not sure why?

Has there been a change since upgrading OS?

OS Versions:
MacBook Pro 2016: 10.13.6
iPhone 7: iOS 12
Apple TV3: 7.2.2

I can SEE the Apple TV3, but when I click to AirPlay it looks like it's going to work then times out with an error "unable to connect to apple tv"

Any suggestions?

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
I have a really old Panasonic AirPlay device and to be honest I’ve been a little surprised it still works.

I stream to it from my iOS 12 iPhone 7 and my MacBook Pro running 10.14 Mojave.

I don’t have an AppleTV though, sorry.

Can you backup the AppleTV and try to stream to it as a freshly initialized device?

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
try rebooting your router

if that doesn't work, try googling airplay and your router number

it's been a while, but there was a setting on mine that was interfering, i think it was WMM

MitzEclipse

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
try rebooting your router

if that doesn't work, try googling airplay and your router number

it's been a while, but there was a setting on mine that was interfering, i think it was WMM
tried rebooting router/modem as well as apple time capsule - still doesn't work - any other suggestions?

MitzEclipse

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Just tried that again...still doesn't work - same issue....!!
OK got it to work. I was indeed connected to the same network but the issue was that I was connected via Ethernet. I changed to connect via Wifi and AirPlay started to work straight away. Very odd considering the Ethernet cable is connected directly to the TimeCapsule, which is providing the Wifi network. All good now. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.