MacBook Pro appears to turn on but sleep light remains on and no start up screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by indcrg, Jul 18, 2010.

1. indcrg macrumors newbie

This morning, I synced my iPod with my MacBook and upon completion and permission to disconnect the device, I pulled out the USB cord. At that point the computer instantly turned itself off, and when I hit the power button, I could hear the system trying to start up, but the screen remained black and the sleep light glowed continuously. I unplugged the charger, took out the battery and put it back in, and tried all the troubleshooting tips under the Apple Support guide with no success. I also discovered that when I closed the laptop while it was "on," it would seem to boot up a little more before returning to the black screen. I left it alone for a few hours, and when I tried again to turn it on, it booted up normally and as I was searching for updates, it shut down again as it had earlier.

Does anyone have anything for me to try? I don't want to have to take it into a shop because I can just barely afford to, but I need this computer! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

2. celticpride678

3. indcrg thread starter macrumors newbie

celticpride,

Thank you for the suggestions... I tried both, and it tried to boot up a few times (without me hitting any keys, which was odd) and I'm back to where I was before. I'm starting to get nervous... :-(

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

If it booted ok, then you must have a HDD problem, have you tried booting from an external HDD?

5. indcrg thread starter macrumors newbie

djasterix,

No, I haven't tried that. I don't have one available to me that I know of. Looks like I will have to see what they can do for me at the Apple store. If it is a problem with my HDD, am I at risk of losing everything on it? Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I don't know a whole lot about computers :)

6. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

I had a same issue looks like ur logic board is dying...mine was replaced when I took in with the same issue

7. Pax macrumors 6502a

8. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove