Macbook Pro: Buy or Wait Till 08 (Read if wondering about Macworld 2008 and MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Josheua, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Josheua macrumors regular

This Was Originally Posted in A Seperate Thread But I thought it Might Help Limit the Threads of Buy or Not to Buy. Feel Free to Make Additions!

Here is the general lowdown of what is going on in the Macbook Pro World as of Late:
    In the past year, Intel finalized their plans to introduce their new Core 2 Duo Mobile Chips under the name Penryn. This essentially is a new chip built around the 45-nm process, first products of which were recently released in the form of the updated Penryn Xeon processors slated for insertion into mac pro. These new chips result in a boost in performance (though not extremely large), decreased power usage, decreased heat production, and increased maximum clock speed over their current generation 65-nm Core 2 Duo Mobile chips. Their release date was finalized for Q1 2008, expected to be January 2008. As such, many believe that due to the proximity of the new Chip’s official release date to that of Macworld 2008, Apple will use the keynote as a platform to introduce updated Macbook Pro’s.
    However the issue/argument comes not over IF this will happen but the magnitude of the line’s overhaul as well as the time between announcement of this product and when it will be in consumers hand:

The Optimist
    Some of the Macrumors readers believe that the January 2008 update will feature the first major overhaul of the Pro-series notebooks since the introduction of the aluminum Powerbooks. There are a few things that point to the possibility of this upgrade:
    • “5-Year” anniversary of the Aluminum form factor
    • Movement of entire Apple line to new style keyboard sans the Macbook Pro
    • Introduction of a New Case design that will become the form factor for the Macbook Pro line as the launch of the new Intel chipset "eaglelake", set for release in Q2 2008, approaches (which has new features Apple would most likely include in their new notebooks)
    • Rumored Ultraportable Macbook Pro would point toward a change in design across the line.

However, there are numerous reasons this might not occur:
    • Tried and True Design does not need to be changed to include new Penryn Processors and true complete upgrade may wait until the updated Chipset in Q2
    • Macbook Style keyboard (currently) features no backlight, a popular feature on current generation macbook pro’s and something that the company may wait to refine until the complete overhaul that may occur in Q2 (thought this isn't a strong rebutle as adding this feature would be quite easy)

The Speed-Addict
    Other Macrumors readers believe January 2008 will be a speed bump in current generation Macbook Pro’s and nothing else. The reasons that lead to this opinion are similar to the reason Apple would not redesign the Macbook Pro, but here they are.
    • Apple has a tendency to stay up to date with the latest intel technology (following the Intel Roadmap)
    • The Tried and True design does not need to be changed to include the newer processors.
    • Current technology is popular among consumers and does not need to be changed to maintain healthy sales of the Macbook Pro

However, there are rumors that vote against this opinion as well.
    • If Apple does introduce the ultraportable macbook pro, it would most likely include the new Macbook style keyboard and new form factor. This would suggest, to keep consistency across the line, a complete redesign of the line to keep consistency (something Apple Likes, a lot)
    • 5-years of few changes to the line lends readers to believe it is time for Apple to add something to the product.

Now that we have addressed the signs pointing towards the different magnitude of upgrades, its important to look at the time between announcement of the product and the time it will take to be in consumers hands.

“…and it is available on our online Store and in Apple Stores everywhere today (or within the week)…”
    With Apple recent history of stocking products in stores the day they are announced, many people believe that the new Macbook Pro will be available for purchase and local Apple Stores the day of or by at least the end of the week. The reasons for:

• iMac Redesign was in Consumers Hands the day it was released
    • iPod Classic and iPod Nano 3G available within a week of announcement

The Reasons Against
    • Penryn Will only be available in January of 2008, meaning supplies could be limited and order times long for custom who order the new macbook pro.
    • Complete redesign could mean a pre-release, pre-order method of sale as Apple builds up stock for the new product before the official release date sometime in late January, early February (much like the iPod Touch, though I belive that most agree that this delay was due to screen shortages)
    • Shipment times for updates to the Macbook Pro's have historically been some time after announcement, lending people to a late january early february arrival date.

All of this is meant as a summary of what all has been said on the forum about upcomming Macbook Pro's. I hope it helps. In general, it is expected Apple will preform some sort of update in 2008. However, you will have to use the above and your own judgement to determine if it is worth the wait and if you think the update will be something that truley makes your macbook pro "outdated." Just remember current generation macbook pro's are great machines that will last you a long time. On top of that, the 65nm chips are tried and true technology. The 45nm Penryn's are brand new and are bound to have some problems as they get off the ground. There are always risks with the latest and greatest, but the benefits may also outway them. Good luck and enjoy the mac you end up purchasing.

-Josh :apple:

(P.S. If anyone has anything to add or argue, feel free, I wrote this mostly from memory of what I have read)

2. HudsonWRX macrumors newbie

nice

wow man, thanks for the recap of all the mbp rumors. good stuff. i've been reading all the apple/mac forums over the last month or so trying to decide what the heck to do about getting a new laptop (macbook pro in this case) since mine (dell 8600) crapped out a couple months ago. think ama just break down and do it (via the student discount through my college, yo soy grad student) cuz i think you make many valid points that sum up most if not all of the current rumors, and waiting right now just seems asinine. thanks again.

btw, i happened to be the first person to read your post which apparently showed up minutes before i entered the forum. this also happens to be my first post on macrumos!

3. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Nice post...as of now I am waiting till January because I don't urgently need a new laptop right now and can wait out the two months. I really hope Apple changes some of the design just to move things along since the design hasn't changed in 5 years...though I wouldn't hope it would be a drastic redesign--just some tweaks here and there to refresh the look. I still think their current MBPs are the best looking laptops of any kind 5 years later, it's amazing how the PC market simply doesn't copy them. :confused:

4. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

The simple fact is PC companies do not put the money or effort into design that Apple does. They are so focused on getting most profit from the simplest/cheapest product that they cutback on design and development as well as the materials (and quality of) that go into their product. Take into consideration the two companies with the most "well designed" computers in the PC World.

Sony:
    Most Notebooks have a plastic shell and those with metal frames are over-priced and underpowered.

HP:
    All Notebooks have a high gloss finish to them that turn them into fingerpint magnets and contribute to how easy they show blimishes.

As much as PC comapnies envy Apple, they are trying to create their own look. It just impossible to compete with a company whose priority is to create innovative and well designed products when your goal is maximum overhead.

5. neversleepalone macrumors newbie

would the fact that there were pre-orders on the ipod touch make it a plausible idea for apple to unveil the new MBP at MW'08 and start pre-orders on the MBP that day to ship on a later date?

6. linshiwen macrumors member

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Wait if you can, but seriously don't be expecting much. Instead of 2.2 and 2.4, it'll probably be 2.4 and 2.6 GHz, with speed improvements of ~10% because of that. Same graphics card, maybe more VRAM, still 2 GB System RAM, bigger HDD's. That's it, nothing more.

8. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

I am starting to agree with this consensus. I think Apple will spend Q1 and Q2 finalizing a redesing of the macbook pro before officially releasing it when they update to the "Eaglelake" platform coupled with updated Penryn Processors slated to paired with "Eaglelake."

I note that in my main post and emphasize it especially if the MPB is a complete redesign. If it is, a time delay will give Apple time to build up stock in the product before the "official release" (Probably what they did with the iPod touch becuase of screen shortages and precieved High demand for the product)

9. HudsonWRX macrumors newbie

pretty much.

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

That's all they've done for two years running! Why change the formula now I guess, huh.

I know people are desperate for a new form factor, but what more can they do now? Either they'll cram what MBP offers into a smaller model as rumoured, or it'll be the same old "bit faster, bit cheaper" we've come to expect.

I hope January shows Apple finally getting out of their "rut" :p

11. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

what leads me to believe that we won't see the update in january but rather in june is that they do not need to change the case to incorporate the penryn processors. however, eaglelake (the new chipset I mention in my post) does offer up new technology which may call for a case redesign. Also, this would give Apple time to finalize the design and work out any bugs in Q1 and Q2 before they officiall release in June of 2008.

however, there is the chance that they will move to the macbook style keyboard in order to keep consistency across the line as well as prepare the new case (and work out its bugs) before eagle lake is released.

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

No. they should be available day of launch.

ipod touch was a completely new product, just like iphone so there was no previous product for people to stop buying.

If they announce a new macbook pro and NOT start selling it right away, there goes all of the sales from the current model

apple will most likly NOT do this, same as with the new imacs

now, when have we EVER seen apple work out bugs from a product?

13. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

Well not publicly.

Publicly...Apple has no Bugs in their systems.

privatley...Apple engineers sit around tables going "wait...so why is the keyboard unresponsive....?" or "So you think thats why the case shocked you" or "eggs anyone?" (as he flips his eggs sunny side up on the schorching macbook pro) :D

- Josh :apple:

14. TopRawman macrumors newbie

TopRawman

So... those looking to have the latest and greatest can wait until Q1 2008 for a performance bump (Penryn) or wait longer on a possible redesign in Q2 2008 and another performance bump (Eaglelake). Or wait for the next thing after that, and the vicious cycle continues!

15. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, you can constantly keep waiting, of course. The point of this thread wasn't to look towards the update w/ eaglelake but rather the 2 month away expected refresh of the macbook pro. Of course, to analyze what might happen in two months, you have to look to the future so I included the information about Eaglelake. personally, i will probably wait till january and buy, regardless of the magnitude of the update, but i wouldn't put it past myself to just decide December 22nd that i want to get my macbook pro for christmas and just run down the store and pick it up.

- Josh :apple:

16. macbookprofan07 macrumors newbie

would their be any Quality control issues with a new release?

17. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

There can always be Quality control issues or unforseen problems with any Updated Product. Look at the iMac. the redesign had a number issues that were even acnowledged by Apple so it is same to say that there is a chance, should a redesigned macbook pro appear in January or June (or whenever) that there may be some products that have problems due to Quality control, be it Apple's fault (unlikely) or the manufacturers of their components (especially in the realm of Penryn, which uses a brand new 45-nm method of producing processors)

18. neversleepalone macrumors newbie

good point.

19. gabedamien macrumors member

gabedamien

You're a bit behind the times... they already released 2.4 /.6 GHz models with new hard drives (160-250 GB, all at least 5200rpm) on Nov. 1.

REALLY ANNOYING since I just got a 2.4 w/ 160 GB 7200rpm drive back on Oct. 1. I would have totally sprung for a 250 GB 5400rpm instead, and a little clock increase is always welcome.

20. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

The 2.4/2.6 models that he is speaking of are most likely the Penryn updates which are NOT the same as the current 65nm Core 2 Duo's used in the macbook pro. However, it is important to mention that it will most likely be a 2.5/2.6 ghz combination, seeing as those are the two processors slated for release that fit the current cost of the standard 2.2 and 2.4 ghz processors in the current generation macbook pro's design.

21. gabedamien macrumors member

gabedamien

Thanks for the info Josheua. Although it's irrelevant in my own case, sadly... :(

Wait, why am I complaining? Right now I own what was the top-of-the-line Apple laptop a mere 16 days ago. I'll stop being a spoiled brat now. ;)

22. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

I was moments away from saying at a local macstore today "I will take it" but decided to hold off. My gutt's telling me January is going to be big. I hope so. If not, I am going to cry.\

23. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

But the question is... are you going to BUY?

24. Josheua thread starter macrumors regular

Of course I will. I will buy that puppy and hold it like a small child. I will still be sad though that I waited for the same form factor (unless the graphics get a memory boost, then I will be happy I waited)

25. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I expect the first MBPs with the Nehalem core will be awesome. I believe Nehalem will bring massive increases in clock speeds, efficiency, and should allow the first quad core MBP. Simultaneously, a whole new generation of GPU (Clusters of lots of chips that will do for GPUs what dual and quad core are doing for CPUs) should be coming out at about that time, and we should be looking at DDR3 RAM.

End of 2008, early 2009?

My next purchase will probably be at the end of 2010. Sandy bridge. Maybe I can get DDR4 RAM and a 16 core CPU?