Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I have a 17 inch Macbook Pro, with a 120 GB harddrive, 1 GB of ram and the 256 MB graphics card. Currently I do not have a desktop. I use Photoshop (which runs just as fast as it did on my 1.67 GHz PowerBook- but maybe some other people may not experience this) I also use Dreamweaver, Flash, Final Cut Pro (lightly) as well as productively applications etc. I love my laptop (and am not the least bit worried about it being upgraded in Paris- its already BLAZING fast) but the screen is a little small, especially considering I use it as a desktop. What do you guys think, should I get a 17 inch iMac (stock) so I'd have a desktop, or should I get a 20" apple display and use it plugged into my MBP?
Thanks in advance for your responses!

PS: Weigh in: do you think the case design for the macbook pros will change with the adoption of the intel core 2 duo processors?

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
I don't see the point of getting another computer when you already have a very sweet one.:D

Go for a second display. I love the look of Apple's displays but there are much cheaper ones available. Save your money for more RAM, an external hard drive or other such things.

I bet the case will stay the same with the C2D. Doesn't seem like the right time to change it.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I think the case will stay the same, although I do hope that they update it.

Go with a display - cheaper, and you can get a larger size. And besides, the 17'' iMac actually displays less than the 17'' MBP (same size, and fewer pixels). And even if you moved to a 20'' iMac, you'd be seeing a slightly bigger screen but with the same amount of pixels again.

As for a display, the 24'' Dell is cheaper than the 20'' ACD... (at least right now. ACD = $699, Dell = $703, but you're paying tax with Apple)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.