Macbook Pro - Cat Killed The Damn Thing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbernar6, Aug 11, 2011.

1. jbernar6 macrumors newbie

Recently I helped move my friend into a new city so he can start Pharmacy school. This is a pretty exciting time in his life and he was excited.

Well, he was enjoying a nice watery beverage... WHEN his cat, Dexter, wanted some attention. Well, the cat knocked over water on the keyboard.

The Macbook is dead. Took it to the mac store, said the logic board was fried but screen, battery, harddrive and optic drive all survived.

My question concerns listings on eBay from business's that claim to be able to fix it for around 250.00. They offer a full refund if they can not fix it and they claim a 95% success rate.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience, whether you or someone you know, who has sent in for a repair like this. He told me to just list it on eBay AS-IS and just get whatever he can for it. But when I saw the listing for repair it got me curious.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. jbernar6 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. bluesteel, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

bluesteel macrumors 6502

i would just purchase a logic board yourself and either have a local authorized apple repair place do the replacement, or have Apple do it. me personally, i would not send my computer out for repair through eBay. if your friend feels like taking a chance, though, then go for it.

if you don't go through this eBay auction, then another thing to consider is how much the total repair will cost out side of that, and how old your friends Macbook is. if its old, and the repair is $500 or more, then you might want to consider just spending a $200-$300 more and getting a refurb or used newer-model macbook pro.

4. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

Yeah.... or even look very carefully. I was able to get a 2010 macbook with a 2 and a half year apple care left for 644. Using migration assistant to back up your applications is a piece of cake, leaving use with a somewhat new computer and all your files and apps....Thats why i love apple...

5. macfan74318 macrumors member

Well in the listing the seller has a 100% Positive Feedback and seems like a good seller, I would do it because it would be cheaper and should be fine. But that is just me.

Hope this helps
    MacFan

6. Alexjones, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

Alexjones macrumors 6502

Just bring it to the Apple store and let them do their thing.

7. sedde macrumors newbie

Well i might try to help you some on this.

Depends on what kind of liquid was dropped on your keyboard and how long it stayed open with the liquid on it.

If it had sugar in it, and it stayed on the logic board for over 2 weeks then thats a problem because sugar "eats" the pcb.

Now what you can do before everything else, is go to a hardware shop and buy a spray that cleans contacts on pcb's, after removing the logic board, try spraying the whole thing and then dry it with pressured air. After you let it dry for 2-3 hours, do the same with the whole inside of the casing, and then fill a bucket with rice and submerge the whole thing inside over night, this will remove any humidity in parts you might not see.

After this , put the thing back together and see if it works. Most of the times you can revive it because its static thats stuck somewhere either on the pcb or the power button logic board and it will be back to life.

Now what i am saying to my clients is : Never trust a computer thats drown as it might die at any moment. Though i have seen laptops survive over 3-4 years with this procedure i have seen others die in the same very week.

I hope i helped you a bit and i hope it works again.

PS : Its not hard to take apart the mbp, search on youtube how to do it, its really easy.

8. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

that exists? so cool, learn something new every day :D