Macbook pro crashed, wondering if there is a chance of recovery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wrmcmaha, Mar 18, 2014.

1. wrmcmaha macrumors newbie

The other week my macbook crashed out of no where. When I went to turn it on, it just stayed on the white apple screen for hours. I could boot it up just fine by holding the "option" key and using the drive I partitioned for Windows, however the Mac part of the drive would not start.

After reading a few articles I decided I most likely had to wipe out the drive and start over. I unfortunately did not make any backups of my data before the crash occurred (I have learned from my mistake). I did however boot my mac into disk utility and copied the crashed hard drive onto an external hard drive just incase there was a way to reinstall everything.

When I tried reinstalling my OS from the backup I made post-crash, when it completed I had the same scenario (stayed on apple screen forever upon boot). At this point I figured I would cut my loses and just start over.

At this point I have everything up and running but i lost a few key components that I need such as Microsoft office 2011. I purchased it back in 2011 and when I went into my email to retrieve the product key, I found that my school automatically deletes any email thats over 2 years old. I called microsoft and they told me they have no record of my product key either. Is there a way that I can somehow go into the backup I made of the crashed drive and get this product key?

The other issue I am experiencing is the version of my OS. I need garage band as well but when I go to the app store it says I need 10.7 or higher (mine is 10.6). I purchased OS X Lion but when I go to the purchases screen of the app store and select "download" next to Lion I get a message stating it is no longer available in the US. I have also tried to download the new OS Mavericks but when I hit "Download" nothing ever happens. Once in a while I will get an icon that appears in my dock to show the progress of the download, but when I hover the mouse over it it says "download - Paused".

I am new to the forum and am not even sure if this is the right page to post this thread on, but if anyone can point me in the right direction or have any potential ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I figured it would be best to seek out someones advice on a possible recovery before spending the money to re-buy MS Office. Thanks again!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

[[ Is there a way that I can somehow go into the backup I made of the crashed drive and get this product key? ]]

Do you have the old hard drive "in your hand"?

If so, spend $25 and get a USB3/SATA docking station, and put the drive into that.
    To see what these are, go to amazon and enter "usb3 sata dock" into the search box.
    You'll get many hits.
    I suggest this one (no financial interest):
    http://plugable.com/products/usb3-sata-u3
    or this:
    http://plugable.com/products/pss-dd1

Put the drive into the dock, connect it to the Macbook, turn it on.
    Does the drive mount on the desktop?

If so, start "looking around".
    How much can you see?
    Can you copy stuff from it?

There are other ways to retrieve the data off the old drive.
    But before you can begin, you first need a way to get the drive "mounted", and that's what the dock is about. See above!