MacBook Pro - External sound card to run monitor speakers

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by alexjamesbrown, Feb 16, 2012.

1. alexjamesbrown macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing some m-audio av40 monitor speakers.
    I have a 2011 13" macbook pro.

I'm looking for decent sound for general music listening, and also djing (traktor) and production (logic)

Would I be advised to get an external sound card?
    If so, ideally would like a bus powered one (don't want to have to keep plugging things in!)

I've looked at NI Audio 2 DJ and Behringer FCA202

Would they work?

2. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

The AV40's would be fine straight from the MacBook Pro.

On a side note, I would not recommend the AV40's. They are notorious for malfunctioning within a year. My right channel started cutting in and out after 8 months or so.

If you're looking for a 4"-5" monitor, I would suggest this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000QPH1CO

You'd need two of them, and you would have to get one of the interfaces you listed. They are more expensive than the AV40's, but you'll save money and time once the AV40's crap out.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Plugging monitors into a mac book is easy you don't need an exttrenal interface for that. but you say "production (logic)" So that could mean anything. Are you doing multi-track recording? Have a MIDI instrument? Do you play keyboard or Guitar, vocal mics?

Also the I'd never recommend anything with "Behringer" printed on it. They make cheap copies of other companies stuff, "cheap: being the key word. M-Aduio makes some decent monitors but the mv40 is the bottom of their line. Move up a model and get some stands to raise them up to ear level (even if you have to use a brick as a stand, do it.. You will have an order of magnitude improvement in the sound.

For general music listening on a limited budget it is best to put all the money into speakers