MacBook Pro freezes after extended sleep time, safe sleep is off already. Anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pismodude2, Aug 14, 2010.

1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I've been having my MacBook Pro freeze up on me after sleeping for around 20-30 minutes or longer. I open the lid, and it looks fine, then as soon as I try and do something I get the spinning beach ball of death. Then, I click something else, and it instantly gets the beach ball. Eventually I try the dock, which comes up, but then freezes and hangs as well, partially expanded.

Control+Option+Delete does nothing. Nothing at all. Not a single button does anything, the only thing that is responsive at any level is the mouse (now a beach ball), and it only moves. And that's it.

I have no peripherals hooked up, nor is my Safe Sleep mode activated (mode=0).

Help? Please? :) Thanks.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you leave it for a certain amount of time - does it eventually sort itself out?

the spinning ball normally indicates hard drive/memory read/write cycles are happening, this could indicate maybe a large amount of swap data is happening for whatever reason.

what applications do you leave open when it goes to sleep? do you use virtual machines?

does this happen on mains power and battery?

3. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

No. I it does not sort itself out, even after an hour.

I only had Firefox open, and it was just at the start page. (no VM)

It happens on both the AC and battery power.

Thanks!

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

had a quick google. there are a few good suggestions here and here.

firstly, reset PRAM and whatnot, run a disk utility permission test from the OSX installer disc that came with your Mac - and run the Apple Hardware Test from your disc as well (hold D on startup with the disc in).

failing that, create a Test account as specified in the above link, etc.

5. kateandersonjac macrumors newbie

thanks, this worked for me, I was having exactly the same symptoms. I reset the PRAM and verified/repaired the boot disc in disc utility. I had just cloned and swapped my boot drive to a new OCW SSD, so maybe some directories were wrong.
    Thanks for the suggestion. :)