Macbook Pro HD into PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nismax, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Nismax macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro that's been broken down for a while, the warranty has expired and the Mac Genius Agents said I could retrieve my data from the Macbook Pro HD by connecting it to an external drive and then to my PC..?

The book will not turn on no matter what, and I was wondering if I could just take out the Macbook Pro's HD and connect it to my PC via SATA/IDE connectors.

Is this doable? Is there a way to get all my data back from the Macbook Pro?
    I've searched the forums/Google without any luck.

Thanks.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you have another Mac you could use an IcyDock. It should work, how readable the drive is will be another discussion (from the PC.)

3. Nismax thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

So if the PC doesn't/can't read the Macbook Pro HD from the Icy Dock, I'll have to connect the Icy Dock into another Mac?

I could use my friend's Mac if that's the case.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can connect it via SATA to your PC if it has extra connectors in the case. Then use the MacDrive free trial to transfer the data. I believe the free trial period is good for one month before purchasing. Afterward you can format the drive to NTFS and use it for a scratch disk and virtual memory.

5. Nismax thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you Velocityg4.

I do have the MacDrive program on my PC and extra SATA connectors :).

I'll come back if I run into any problems ;)