MacBook Pro + iMac (2nd monitor) + Dell (3rd monitor)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gelgel, Jul 3, 2013.

1. gelgel macrumors newbie

Hi all, so my home setup is 27" imac plus a dell monitor (hook up via mini displayport). I recently acquired a job that provided me with a mbp. I would like to hook up my mbp to both my imac and dell monitors. I bought the tb cable and tried hooking them up. mbp ->tb -> imac -> mini displayport -> dell. but this doesnt work. when imac went to the display mode, the dell monitor didnt. It remains as the "imac" monitor.

Does anyone know how i can make this work?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The iMac will act as a monitor in target display mode, but you can't daisy-chain another monitor off that. If your MBP has two Thunderbolt ports you can do one off of each. If you only have one TB port (e.g. current non-Retina MBP) then it gets more difficult. One method would be to use a USB display adapter for the Dell monitor.

3. gelgel thread starter macrumors newbie

that sucks.. i was hoping i can use the mini display port with that. My mbp only has one tb port.. that being said, if it does hv two, then hooking up one with tb cable to imac, and one with mini display port to dell monitor would be possible?

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Yes, the Retina MBPs have two Thunderbolt ports so they would work with the iMac plugged into one and the Dell display plugged into the other.

5. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Wonder if you can get it going with a Thunderbolt hub, like the belkin or caldigit?