Macbook Pro internal monitor does not turn on but External Monitor works

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesmilingpsych, Nov 12, 2009.

1. thesmilingpsych macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a double post, but I am in a bit of a tricky situation. I have seen people all over the internet saying that their MBP monitor would not turn on, but I have not seen my situation before.

I used the computer a week ago (it's a work machine and I'm a part time intern) and both the external and internal monitor worked. I shut it down and when I came back the computer booted up to the external monitor but gave no video on the internal. I shut down, removed the external monitor (connected by DVI cable) and rebooted. Nothing came up but when I connected the external again it worked fine.

This had happened before, but when I shut down and rebooted without the cable connected it came back on immediately.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm just hoping its not a bad graphics card or something that needs to go in for warranty.

Thanks,

TSP

2. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

I had the same problem, and I'm sorry to say its the logic board... which is worse than the graphics card problem... the whole board has to be swapped.. :mad:

3. Sace macrumors member

What model do you use? The classic MBP models with the 8600mGT are known for this issue.

Logicboard isn't worse than a graphics problem, if its hardware related. The graphics chip is soldered onto the board, and needs to be replaced.

4. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

5. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

yea it is. its way more expensive too. expensive enough for me to justify a purchase of a new mbp. I believe he is using the non unibody mbp....

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ok, it looks like the logic board. But you could always use it as a desktop. External screen, external mouse and keyboard:D

7. thesmilingpsych thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everybody, looks like a call is going into applecare then.

I considered using it as a desktop, but in the decision making process, a laptop (quite possibly refurbed, or just reallocated within the company) was ordered instead of a desktop to do video editing. It would be really beneficial to have both monitors working seeing as every other requirement is lacking, dual monitors would be a nice luxuary at least.