MacBook Pro is an expensive proposition to run as a desktop with Apple accessories.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kendo, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I just bought a Dell U2412M in order to use my MacBook as a desktop. Until now I've been exclusively using its 13" screen as my main computer. Since Apple is having their Black Friday sale, I wanted to pick up the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad to complete the desktop experience.

How many people here bought an Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad? MacBook Pros are already more expensive than their iMac counterparts, and purchasing those two accessories separately adds another $138 to the package (thankfully they are on sale today at $58 each instead of $69).

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I originally had a wireless keyboard and mighty mouse from my 09 iMac. I recently just purchased a trackpad to go along with it and I love it. I have a macpadd (aluminum mouse pad) and use my logitech performance MX mouse on it for my 17" pro on my desk and use the trackpad for my iMac.

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

no one told u to buy apples keyboard and mouse/trackpad

4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I use my Pro with an external screen just like you and I bought a trackpad, magic mouse and a keyboard. After a week I chose to sell the trackpad because I never used it.

It is quite an expensive setup but I really love it. I've never liked desktops since I want to be able to take the computer with me for presentations and stuff like that.

5. c17guy macrumors newbie

I too purchased both, along with an apple cinema display. Yes, quite the expensive setup, but truthfully always a pleasure sitting at the desk working on!

6. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Hmmm. I'm currently using a Mac Book Pro as a desktop with an NECPA271W, a Large Intuos 4 and Apple wired keyboard. It's a lot less expensive than a Mac Pro..

7. matt94gt macrumors member

I think im going to go with the mac blue tooth wireless keyboard when I get my 24" screen, I already have a magic mouse but never use it when im on my 15" notebook as I find the track pad much easier.

Regardless I cant wait to use my new screen and magic mouse as my main work computer, and I agree its much cheaper then getting a Mac Pro...im going to put some money into upgrading my late 2009 MBP and it will be just as fast anyways at 1/4 the price, plus I can take it anywhere I go.

Anyone know the best place to get a wireless mac keyboard online?

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The MBP+external display setup's key advantage is that at the end of the day, you can easily unplug your MBP to bring around/outside with you. Cheaper than 27' imac + MBP/MBA at any rate, and you don't have to bother with synching/transferring data between the 2.

Gotta be willing to pay something for that convenience, I suppose. :p

9. matt94gt macrumors member

Thats my exact thoughts as well, I do web/graphic design so I always want my computer with me, with my files, contacts, programs etc...only makes sense.

10. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple is selling it for $58 for their Black Friday sale. Normally it is $69. Same with the Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad.

I just ended up buying the wireless keyboard and Magic Trackpad. Can't wait to get my brand new Dell U2412M display. It has a 24" IPS panel so combined with my MacBook Air, I can at least mimic the iMac experience at home and have true portability on the road.

11. matt94gt, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

matt94gt macrumors member

Dude I just got the dell too! lol same one, heard stellar reviews plus I saved $100 :) cant go wrong.

ps: ordering the keyboard now, screw it I got the track pad too...going to sell my magic mouse. I always found my self hopping back to the trackpad vs the mouse anyways.

12. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

the wireless keyboard and track pad are expensive. But for me, are a must. To fully experience Lion, you need the trackpad and gestures. It's totally changed everything for me and how I interact with my computer.

The laptop into a monitor is working out great for me at work. I use the usb keyboard with the magic trackpad in the office and it's the best of both worlds. The usb keyboard has 2 additional usb inputs to hook up card readers, other usb peripherals. Plus I have the number pad on the right side. So far it's been the perfect setup for me. Fast. Reliable. Comes home with me.

I've owned just about every PC brand (HP, Dell, People PC, Gateway, etc etc) and the Apple product is more expensive, but better. I'd rather pay a little more and know I'm getting some of the best design and engineering you can get in this kind of product.

:cool:

13. matt94gt macrumors member

Stoked to get my Keyboard and Trackpad, the thing that sold me is the fact that they appear to mount up side by side perfectly, I am so used to using my notebook for the past 2 years every day that I cant stand a mouse, hopping over to the trackpad seems quick and easy plus im used to it.

Thanks for this thread or I would of missed out on both! You guys are awesome at helping me spend my money :D:p

14. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

once you use the trackpad for a few months, you'll notice your hands are less fatigued. Your not squeezing a mouse anymore. You're just resting our fingers above a flat plane.

Pinch to zoom on documents, images, web pages is so great. Swiping to go back/forwards, two finger up/down swiping. two finger taps to get right click menus. so many cool and smart things you can with the track pad. It's really revolutionary. as corny as it sounds, it makes web surfing, finding info really intuitive and natural.

15. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I've never been a fan of mice; I prefer a trackball with programmable buttons. My hand rests on top of the trackball and my index finger does all the work... But I am curious whether an Apple trackpad could be used at the same time as a trackball without having to disconnect the trackball.

I'm also going to be using my new 13" MBP as my desktop; I'm leaning toward this brand: http://www.bookendzdocks.com/. But first I am going to sit-down and figure out if I can get by manually dealing with cables.

16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I have two sets actually. Magic Keyboard and trackpad at home with a 24" Samsung Monitor, and keyboard and trackpad at work with a 24" Dell. Makes life easy with all the back and forth I do.

Wondered at first if I was going to have to un-pair/repair the bluetooth every time I went back and forth, but it just automagically picks up and works. One day I'll look up and find the specs on the # of BT devices it'll maintain pairing for.

17. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Another great bonus (besides the fact that they are designed by Apple and sit flush next to each other) is that they both connect via Bluetooth. My MacBook Air has only 2 USB ports so the fact that one won't be utilized for a USB receiver like some wireless mice and keyboards require is a major bonus.

I find the best combination is Magic Trackpad and a regular or gaming mouse (in fact, any mouse other than the Magic Mouse). I find the Magic Mouse extremely uncomfortable to use because it is trying to get the Trackpad features on a mouse, thus making it really flat to hold. Getting the actual Trackpad negates any need for the Magic Mouse so you can buy a normal mouse after you sell it.

18. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

For me it was the exact opposite.

I love the trackpad on the computer but when using it as a desktop I just love the Magic Mouse so much more.

I never actually rest my hand on my mouses so the Magic Mouse was a prefect fit since it has some of the features the Lion comes with.
    Only thing I miss is being able to bring up the Launchpad with the mouse. I'm going to install BetterTouchTool to solve that problem though.

19. Heavertron macrumors regular

Double two finger tap to bring up launchpad with the Magic Mouse.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

And TwelveSouth makes this handy gadget: http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/magicwand/

21. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I have both..track pad and keyboard..

I "dock" my 13 to a 24" samsung when at home and it works great!

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Welcome to the very pricey world of Apple.

I'm accustomed to their high prices, since I've been a Mac enthusiast and professional user for years. It is what it is. If you want a Mac you are going to pay handsomely. Apple prides itself on operating on the highest profit margins in the industry. It thrills their fanboys so much they brag about it like they are the ones getting all that money.

They're able to charge what they do, based on a brilliant and highly effective marketing machine. Enhanced by the wizardry of Steve Jobs, now departed.

Going forward as the playing field levels, with the "magic gone" it will be interesting to see just how they do.

I don't expect to see any softening for quite some time, as this is one company that can run on autopilot longer than others that have had a change of CEO's.

It's the massive band of cult like followers (not too much unlike the "Dead Heads" that worshipped Jerry Garcia) that will continue to evangelize for Apple.

Me?

Yes, I'm an Apple purist and use everything Apple including all peripherals for my personal Eco-System.

23. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

@vitzr:
    I'm not interested in Apples fanboys nor who is (or was) the CEO of computer manufacturer X, and what he/she said/says. I need the build quality of the hardware (no, the NVIDIA disaster is NVIDIAs fault), a clean software environment (Who likes Windows Trojans and Viruses?), and the ability to use at least three different OSs (Linux, Windows, Mac OS X). Which company can give me such a computer?

Right.

;-)

24. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I have the bluetooth keyboard, magic mouse and an book arc to hold my mac. Yeah it may be a little more than buying a plastic bluetooth keyboard and mouse but, my thoughts were if I can afford the MBP then to be honest the slight premium of aluminium over plastic is no issue. Don't forget when comparing to the iMac, the MBP can be picked up and moved around.

Overall I am really happy with the set up - very power 'desktop' at home and very powerful laptop for on the move!

I would never buy a desktop now

25. randomrazr macrumors 65816

dell..?