MacBook Pro is full... Need help with back up, clean up and set up of my home network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1sweetORnurse, Mar 29, 2012.

1. 1sweetORnurse macrumors newbie

Where to even begin with the problames I'm having!? I have a MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.8, an iMac OS X 10.5.8, a 500GB Time Capsule, and an iPhone 4s. I know just enough about all of them to basically get myself into trouble... And It seems I have done a really good job at messing everything up! I bought the iMac and Time capsule together in 2008. The Time Capsule didn't work properly for backups from the start (although it functions great as a router for my home network), and I spent several hours on the phone with applecare, took it to the Genius Bar etc., and it still has not ever worked as a continuous background backup. I did somehow manage to acquire one backup of the iMac with the TC before I did a reboot of the iMac a couple years ago. I can access the backup, but im not sure if the backup is actually on the time capsule or if it is saved on the HD. Furthermore, I have another backup (pretty sure it's a partial backup) from the MacBook Pro, and I don't know where that one is actually stored either. The Macbook Pro is so full that it is not functioning properly and i'm afraid it will die. I have subscribed to both Backblaze and Crashplan... The initial Backblaze backup completed on the MacBook, but I don't even have enough diskspace to download Crashplan. I need to get both Macs backed up to an external hard drive and I would like to save the backups I already have. I am also trying to start my own photograghy business, so I would like everything setup so that I can manage photos from both Macs and be condusive for storing and editing loads of photos. So here are my questions...

1. Can I (and should I) back up both Macs to one external hard drive?

2. Can I use the Time Capsule to route wireless continuous backups from the MacBook Pro to the external hard drive or would I need to have it wired every time?

3. Which external hard drive would be best for my situation? Would a RAID be best or is that overkill?

I am considering this one in either a 2TB or 3TB:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

4. Once everything is safely backed up, what is the best way to get my HD space freed up?

5. How do I set up the drives so that I'm not using all of my internal HD space for photos and music?

6. When I have enough space to upgrade to OS X Lion, will the cloud make a difference with how my photos are managed?

I know this has been extensive, and probably frustrating to those of you who know what your'e doing... Thanks so much for your time and patience!!

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

correct me if I'm wrong people but I think RAID would count as overkill here?

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Hope this helps