MacBook Pro is to hot (176) and fans are not always running Please Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macthak, Dec 28, 2008.

1. macthak macrumors newbie

Hi
    I think I may have a problem. i have a early 2008 mbp and it runs very hot. My average temps are in the 130s according to smcfancontrol2. I dont think this is normal. I run the fans at 4000 rpm usually and up it to 5000 if it gets to hot. I do not do anything to much just, web browsing and watching videos online. I also use boot camp to play games. i set the fans to the highest rpm possible for the fan 6000 with smcfancontrol2 and restart to boot camp. I play mass effect and fallout 3 on medium quality. after a while my mbp turns hot to the touch and can hurt when i touch it. I installed a temp checker on my xp partition and it warned me that my temp was 176 and was to hot and i should turn of my mac off. i need help with this problem please. :confused:

Thank You guys in advanced.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

3. pointandclick macrumors regular

Those temps are pretty normal. 176 is 80 C which is quite good for full load on a MBP. Mine runs around 97 and I'm working on it. The thermal specs for the Core 2 mobile parts is 100* C, if it was a desktop chip you'd be in trouble.

4. zorahk macrumors 6502

5. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

These temperatures are 'normal' as we are awaiting another firmware update which addresses retardation in the SMC. Till we get a firmware update, try Fan Control, when running Mac OS X, and this will simply override the internal SMC's fan control and raise your fans according to the CPU temperature. If you need to run intensive tasks on Windows (Boot Camp), first boot in Mac OS X, download SMCfancontrol, in activity monitor kill the process 'fancontroldaemon', max out the fan speed in SMCfancontrol, restart, and boot to Windows. The fans will still be running at how much you have set the minimum fan speed in SMCfancontrol.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

80C is a good temp, infact for a macbook pro its rather amazingly cool, however if the fans are annoying you then you can slow them manually to around 2000 rpm using smcfancontrol but i wouldnt recommend this unless your experienced at doing things like overclocking, you can just take it to your apple store and the geniuses can fix this problem quite easily for you :)

7. FireArse macrumors 6502a

'Hot' Macs only need attention when...

...they get so hot they turn themselves off. This can then be confirmed (perhaps after a 5min delay) by checking in console. Type 'heat' in the search facility.

Otherwise, it is running perfectly. I've seen MBPs run at over 100C, though I did suggest to my friend he take it off his blanket...

8. tivoboy macrumors 68030

fans normal

Does anyone have a list or SPEC as to WHEN and at what temps, for what locations the FANS are suppoossed to come on?

For the most part, my fans seem to be running at 2k only, and the temps on things are around 113-140F for most items.

The Airport card seems to be the highest, at 143 sometimes. Next comes the GPU diode, then the HEATSINK A, and THEN the CPU.

But, while the machine gets a bit hot, I DONT see the fans going up too much. I had tried SMCfancontrol, but ended up turning it off. WHEN should the fans be coming on?

9. FireArse macrumors 6502a

With the greatest of respect - 140 (I presume Fahrenheit) is absolutely fine - stop worrying about heat! Trust me when I say that weeks if not months have been spent by Engineers finding out the sweetspot for ramping up the fans above 2000RPM.

F