Macbook Pro keeps restarting/won't startup when connected to monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tman1425, Oct 28, 2014.

1. tman1425 macrumors member

I just bought a new 13" Macbook Pro Retina. Whenever it is connected to my 27" Apple LED display and I restart the computer, it won't start back up. I hear the chime, then everything just stays black for about 30 seconds, then I hear the chime again. It does this over and over...it just keeps restarting. When it's not connected to the Apple display it restarts just fine and boots up. I'm running Yosemite and not sure if this might be a bug.

Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions to fix it? It's annoying when I have to disconnect from the monitor every time I just want to restart the computer.

Thanks in advance!

2. tman1425 thread starter macrumors member

So I called AppleCare today. They said that the computer screen/lid is not supposed to be closed until you can see the desktop. So am I supposed to open the computer screen every time I need to restart and then put it back into clamshell mode? My old MacBook Pro never had this issue and I could restart it and leave the screen closed in clamshell mode?

Does anyone else restart their computer in clamshell mode and keep the screen closed?