MacBook Pro Late 2013 15“ no more thunderbolt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paradiseapple, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Paradiseapple macrumors regular

Hello friends. Since I upgraded to Mojave my LaCie Thunderbolt 2 hard drives do not appear anymore. I already made a hardware test and everything should be fine. Do I need certain drivers? Has it to do with the LaCie desktop manager?

2. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

Look in Disk Utility, under View menu choose "Show All Devices". It's possible they're just not mounted for some reason.

3. Paradiseapple thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you but it does not show, there is a driver for LaCie 5big but it does not help too. And the ragged LaCie does not show too

4. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

Do the thunderbolt controller(s) show in system info (Apple Menu > About this Mac > System Report > Thunderbolt) ?

5. Paradiseapple thread starter macrumors regular

Its not shown there too. Shall i downgrade to Sierra or High Sierra because of this? I own two ragged Ladies and on LaCie Big5. What a waste.

6. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

7. Paradiseapple thread starter macrumors regular

Th point is that i just installed Mojave again. Which procedure would you recommend when i reinstall it?

8. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

Sorry you said you upgraded. I meant i would wipe the drive and do a clean install. (Obviously make sure you have backups/copies of data)

9. Paradiseapple thread starter macrumors regular

10. Paradiseapple thread starter macrumors regular

That´s the problem: I already installed the RAID firmware on terminal but nothing happens. And my two rugged Thunderbolt drives don't show tip too.I made a hardware test and all should be fine.

11. s66, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 11:07 AM

s66 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure for the 5big, but a LaCie 8big requires the management software to be installed for them to be detected. Since the 5big is of the same generation, I'd expect the same behaviour. As to the other devices: test if they work without software installed on another mac (go to an apple store if you have to, they let you use macs at will).

Main reason I sold both 8big units I owned was that software requirement: it holds you back during upgrades and complicates life way too much when you want to restore a backup from it.

This might help:
    https://www.lacie.com/support/kb/5b...-detected-by-lacie-raid-manager-v25-007821en/
    And you need to have their raid manager v2 installed:
    https://www.lacie.com/support/software/lacie-raid-manager/
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:36 AM ---
    Installing the RAID Manager v2 should solve your problem in my experience.

12. Paradiseapple thread starter macrumors regular

Hello friends, today the mac shop checked my laptop and it came out that the thunderbolt connections are loose. They say th logic board has to be renewed: 1000 dollars. I will try if another shop can fix it.

13. s66 macrumors newbie

Replacing the logic board is about the only action any authorised apple repair shop will do as the connectors are on the logic board and they aren't going to be allowed to solder anything anywhere on a mac.

The price they charge is higher than the economic value of your laptop I'm afraid.
    [I've had that on far newer machines as well]

If you have access to a *good* technician who's used to solder on modern multi-layer boards: they might try to resolder the connectors, might fail - might succeed ... but it should be a lot cheaper than a new (yet, obsolete) motherboard.
    It's not like you have warranty to worry about anyway.

Now back to the diagnosis: I've managed hundreds of MBPs (literally), and I've never seen any with damage to the TB2 ports. All sorts of other failure (mostly caused by abuse by the users): sure, but that port: not a single failure. Sure might be that my users didn't use it all that much, or just sheer luck, but it for sure isn't a common failure in my experience.

What you could do is try to buy a 2nd hand machine as that's going to be cheaper than repairing yours. You could also sell your machine, even with damage to the TB2 ports (few people need the TB2 ports as few have devices to connect to them).

14. Paradiseapple thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your advise. There is a company offering to solder lose parts of the logic board for 190€. Maybe i try this. I have two rugged LaCie and a 5big Thunderbolt 2 hard drives I would like to use for editing. And a new MacBook Pro would be about 4500€ in my configuration. Money I would like to safe for the 7,1 Mac Pro.