MacBook Pro (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2) doesn't recognise my Canon SLR 60D.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Juliati, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Juliati macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2). Just yesterday I bought a Canon SLR 60D. I've installed the Canon EOS digital solution disk v24.1 and plugged in the camera to the computer.

The computer doesn't recognise the camera. Some apps seems to have installed (eg. Digital Photo Professional). Some apps (eg. EOS Utility) are telling me "Alert - Cannot be used with this version of the operating system."

I've looked on the Canon - Aus website and there seems to be driver updates for photocopiers and scanners. Nothing I can see for SLR cameras.

Does anyone have any advise / working solutions / the same issue?

Thank you.

2. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

My advice would be to use an external card reader (does your Macbook Pro have one built in?), with iPhoto or Image Capture.

I probably wouldn't bother with the software supplied with the camera unless you require tethered shooting functionality.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the software is mostly useless with the 60d. grab a large SD card and go shooting.
    use iPhoto or image capture to import if you don't have lightroom or aperture

I have a 60d and never used the software, aperture is the only thing I use

4. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

EOS Utility is known to not yet work with Lion (at least is was, there may have been recent updates that I am not aware of).

Does it show up correctly in iPhoto?

5. Juliati thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Hi y'all

Thanks for your advice. I've ditched the software that comes from Canon. Just using iPhoto. Works fine.

Thank you.

Cheers

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I'm using EOS Utility and Canon DPP with LION.

It gives an error on start, but does not effect program functionality with some versions.

Programs may not " auto start ", but manually started by the user they will work.

EOS Utility - Ver 2.8.1.0
    DPP - 3.8.2.0
    Image Browser - 6.5.0.10

I also used to discard the Canon provided software - but have since learned the value of it.

Canon Digital Photo Professional is an excellent tool when working with image noise. The only other tool that comes close in working as well as DPP, is Adobe Lightroom 3.