Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noitcere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
From a post made today in the Apple subreddit:

I work in a large UK Electrical retailer, similar to a particular spicy Indian food ;)

Anyway, we noticed today when checking stock and availability for a customer that all models of iMac, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro cannot be ordered and are shown as "Not Due" for delivery. This usually happens when Apple halts shipments due to product refreshes. I think it's a safe bet that at least these 3 Mac lines will be updated come March 9th.

I ordered my Macbook Pro from the Apple store yesterday, which gives me more than enough time to return it if Apple does end up announcing a new one on the 9th, but I won't be cancelling my order just because of a rumour.

Should we take this seriously?

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
I doubt it. MBA - Definitely. rMBPs - Not so much.

Possibly.

A minor Broadwell-based rMBP refresh. I don't expect any graphics card change, or if there is, minimal change.

They need to release something (even if it's not substantial) to appease people, while the big update is late 2015/early 2016: the Skylake release, with a redesigned MBP.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
mba and rmbp 13" broadwell chips have been released. rmbp 15" chips have not been released yet. iMacs chips are also missing. So, some lines can't be updated yet, unless apple has access to chips that haven't been released yet (very unlikely).

nirvanemesis

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2014
If you bought a 13", there might be a chance, but Apple usually updates the whole Pro line all at once so it's unlikely given that quad core Broadwell is still set for a summer release

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Well you're covered for a return so not much to worry about. Like others have said, more likely they update the entire pro line at once but we never really know.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Possibly.

A minor Broadwell-based rMBP refresh. I don't expect any graphics card change, or if there is, minimal change.

They need to release something (even if it's not substantial) to appease people, while the big update is late 2015/early 2016: the Skylake release, with a redesigned MBP.

Intel's roadmap is to release the processors used in the MBP's in summer. If any gets an update it will be the Air with a Core M, otherwise I doubt we see any refresh this month

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
If you need a Mac then keep it. If it can wait then wait. It's really not that big of a deal.
Au Contraire!

If I'd bought a brand new rMBP for $2000+ and they released an updated\refreshed one the week after my return option expired, I'd be livid - as, I imagine, most people would be. This is a 3-5 year investment for the majority, and the last thing you'd want is for it to become obsolete instantly. :cool:

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Au Contraire!

If I'd bought a brand new rMBP for $2000+ and they released an updated\refreshed one the week after my return option expired, I'd be livid - as, I imagine, most people would be. This is a 3-5 year investment for the majority, and the last thing you'd want is for it to become obsolete instantly. :cool:

It IS a big deal.

It's a computer... I don't really think there will be any revolutionary features announced.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I'm really excited. I hope they come out with some new notebook. I don't care which one. My guess is Air. That thing is so old lol. It is in dire need of a refresh.

TomWallace148

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
Au Contraire!

This is a 3-5 year investment for the majority, and the last thing you'd want is for it to become obsolete instantly. :cool:

Obsolete? Do you mean that all previous Macs quit working? No wonder 96% of computer users buy Windows PCs!! :)

And to think I just paid $2500 to move from a Windows PC to a new MacBook Pro!

Tom

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Au Contraire!

Whilst I see where you're coming from as I've been there myself I think saying that it would become obsolete is an over the top statement as certainly would not be the case. It just wouldn't be as up to date of as powerful as the new models.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
I'm quite sure that the rumoured 12" fanless MBA would be Core M. It would be a great machine for an average user and the weaker CPU would further differentiate it from the 'pro' line.

It makes sense that the air would be updated with a core m but still, its kind of a shame, I'm under the impression that core m is only good for chromebooks and tablets :confused:, and it's a seriously underpowered chip , am I exaggerating?

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
It makes sense that the air would be updated with a core m but still, its kind of a shame, I'm under the impression that core m is only good for chromebooks and tablets :confused:, and it's a seriously underpowered chip , am I exaggerating?

Let's see. Lenovo's Yoga 3 Pro with the Core M had issues while playing 1080p video, and had **** battery life, so I don't know.

Knowing Apple though, it's more likely that Broadwell-U low-power goes into the Air (i5 and i7 with the HD5500).

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
Let's see. Lenovo's Yoga 3 Pro with the Core M had issues while playing 1080p video, and had **** battery life, so I don't know.

Knowing Apple though, it's more likely that Broadwell-U low-power goes into the Air (i5 and i7 with the HD5500).

But if apple goes with broadwell u for the air, why would the 13" macbook pro retina even exist? The air would have similar performance, similar price and a considerably more compact body, how would the user be able to difference between them?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
But if apple goes with broadwell u for the air, why would the 13" macbook pro retina even exist? The air would have similar performance, similar price and a considerably more compact body, how would the user be able to difference between them?

Ha, even then the Air and 13" rMBP wouldn't even be close in competing.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

The current rMBPs and MBAs both use Haswell-U, so there's every reason to believe both will use Broadwell-U again.

The Airs use the 15W Haswell-U and the rMBPs use 28W Haswell-U SKUs. The performance gap between the 15W and 28W SKUs can be quite substantial.

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
Au Contraire!

Oxford English Dictionary

verb

[WITH OBJECT]
Chiefly US: Cause (a product or idea) to become obsolete by replacing it with something new.

Example: we’re trying to stimulate the business by obsoleting last year’s designs

I think that's an accurate description in the circumstances. :cool:

----------

Obsolete? Do you mean that all previous Macs quit working? ...
Tom
No! See my above post.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
The current rMBPs and MBAs both use Haswell-U, so there's every reason to believe both will use Broadwell-U again.

The Airs use the 15W Haswell-U and the rMBPs use 28W Haswell-U SKUs. The performance gap between the 15W and 28W SKUs can be quite substantial.

It can, but it really isn't that much between the Airs and 13" MBPs. Take a look of some benchmarks, you won't find any huge difference (and benchmarks tend to show more gap than you'll ever find in a real usage). The main difference is the GPU (one has HD 6000, other Iris 6100), related to the CPU they have same nº of cores, similar max. clock frecuency, similar cache sizes... So almost anything handled by the 13" MBP's can be handled by the Airs. The huge difference is within 13"'s and 15"'s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.