Macbook pro (Mid 2012 15) with video issues. Apple has so far been very uncooperative

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sinamun, May 3, 2015.

1. sinamun, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015

sinamun macrumors newbie

I have been facing video issues with my macbook since I first got it. It started off with a random flicker across the whole screen that lasted a fraction of a second, very infrequently.

The most frequent problem would be a complete system hang which is only fixed by a forced shutdown. I have tried leaving it on for nearly 2 hours to no avail (Unsaved documents..). I could identify this almost instantly, as the screen and apple logo on the back remains lit after closing the lid. Along with this, I would sometimes have a total crash, with a black screen with an error message along the lines of ‘Your laptop has shut down unexpectedly’.

And now I have reached the final stage, with intermittent black screen that has lasted as long as 4 days. I took the laptop to the genius bar, being told that I was no longer covered by warranty and that I would have to dish £400 to replace the screen. I respectfully declined and later found out about [this](https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/) issue, which my laptop falls under.

Back to apple the next day, same genius and now they suddenly know all about this program after I mention it.. They run a VST test which my laptop passes. They now tell me that I am again not covered by warranty or the program as my laptop didn't fail the VST test.

All of the symptoms of my laptop fall perfectly into the program, so why am I not eligible?

My research shows me that this problem is due to lead free soldering used in the motherboard and logic units.

I am a student with no money, exams in 5 weeks with a broken laptop and they expect me to pay over £400 to fix something that is their fault. If any of you have dealt with something like this or have any advice, it would mean the world to me.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

From what I've read on here and other forums, if your macBook Pro somehow passes the VST but still exhibits the issue, then you have to show the Genius that this is happening. Sometimes recording a video (from your phone) and showing them the symptoms in action will do it. Other times, it HAS to be happening in front of them.

Although it sucks and you shouldn't have to be doing this, you may have to camp out in an Apple store one day with your Mac do whatever it is you do that gets the MBP going nuts, and then show them. If they still won't help you, try another Apple Store.

3. ipooed, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

I don't think the lead free soldier makes any difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AcEt073Uds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrUx3RbNl0

4. sinamun thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw this video last night and have been considering doing it. Do you have any experience with this or know of anyone who has? I was told by apple that they replace the laptop if there was 3 considerable problems, but I cannot find any mention of this anywhere on the internet or apple terms and conditions.

I have also heard that the 'fixed' laptop is harder to break, due to a better thermal paste or what not.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

Is your MBP the Mid 2012 Retina or non-Retina?

For it to be covered under the programme, it has to be the Retina model.

6. sinamun thread starter macrumors newbie

Mid 2012 15" Retina. The problem was that it passed the VST test which means I didn't qualify for the program. Here's where apple does apple..

Is there any way I can reproduce these failures?

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I see. Your post didn't specify that.

If you want to, you can try running a GPU stress test using the Furmark component of GpuTest. It might cause it to fail.

Otherwise just keep using it as normal until it causes problems and then be fast with your iPhone or other video recording device to document the issue.

8. sinamun thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a video that I took yesterday.
    http://somevid.com/l9Lk2LK7RMcVrR3DOMQQ

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That seems pretty convincing (though the video could be sharper).
    Have you shown that to the Genius?

10. sinamun thread starter macrumors newbie

The video is sharper on my phone, it was compressed during upload. I haven't showed him yet, but I have a feeling that it won't change much. I'm not really sure what to say to them to make them see that it's apple's fault.

11. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Well, if you can show the issue happening, your rMBP is covered by the Discretegate. Apple will fix defective discrete GPUs from 2011 to Early-2013 MBPs (retina included).

12. sinamun thread starter macrumors newbie

What exactly do I tell them? This particular apple store seems to want to make the extra penny off me, even though I have been extremely polite with them. Is there something in the terms or conditions, or something I can print out and show them?

13. JTToft macrumors 68040

- And non-Retina 2012 models excluded.

14. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

I believe some people have just got there money back for the logic board replacement, and not new MacBooks. But if it's within the 90 days you figure they would have to do something (other than just giving you your money back)

15. EsTriFee macrumors newbie

I assume you bought the Macbook in UK? Under UK law you have 5 years of hardware warranty, and considering this is a very well known issue you should get it fixed under warranty. Ask for a manager, they usually are better at dealing with things like this ( from what all the other forum members say about their experiences).

Giving Tim Cook an email, would most likely also help. He won't answer you personally but one of the people higher up in the support will contact you about this ( at least that's what happened when i sent an email about issues). These people are usually more inclined to solve your problem.

As others have stated, showing the problem on video/in person will make proof to support your claim.

Anyway, if I were you I would email tim, and mention the fact that it has 5year warranty under law and the problem is a known issue. Just calmly but firmly say that you're really dissatisfied with this and the way the store were no help.

Good luck.