Macbook Pro Monitor Fails to Turn On

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goodventure, Jul 6, 2009.

1. goodventure macrumors newbie

I have a 17" Macbook Pro (2.4 GHz) that I bought in March of '08.

To start off, I'll admit I did something pretty stupid to cause this whole problem. This morning I was on my laptop doing my homework for summer classes I'm taking. All of a sudden I see a little fly land on my laptop's keyboard. So I took my hand and slapped it on my keyboard, killing it.

Delighting in the fact that I just killed that annoying fly, I failed to realize for a few seconds that my macbook's monitor just turned itself off. I panic. For a second I thought the whole macbook turned itself off and powered down or something. But then I realize that little light that's in front of the macbook was still on.

I thought I had no other option, so I held the power button for about 10 seconds and it turned off. Then I turned it back on.

Now here's the thing. When I pressed the power button, I didn't hear that startup chime at all. The only way to describe what's going on now is that it turns on as if the macbook was being turned on after it's been put it to sleep.

The only things that are "on" is that little light in front of the macbook. I also have a CD in my macbook pro right now, so it's making that sound that macs make when they try to read a CD, but the monitor is still off. I press the caps lock key and the light won't turn on. I press the brightness adjustment buttons and nothing happens. I press the volume buttons and nothing happens.

In my attempts to try and solve this on my own, I followed these directions: (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365) but on step 6, instead of restarting, command+control+power just turns off the computer. Step 7 didn't do anything and neither did step 8. I didn't install any memory so step 9 is moot.

I also found this: (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377). Perhaps when I hit my hand on my macbook I killed the graphics processor? The time period in which I bought my macbook fits the description. However I still need to check if it will appear on an external display, but I doubt it will.

Did I just kill my macbook? I mean, it still powers on. I'm hoping this is just a monitor problem and that I didn't actually destroy anything else, like the contents of my hard drive.

I'm a bit hesitant to take it to a genius bar. I've never done it before, and the contents of my hard drive are EVERYTHING to me. What if they take it for repairs and erase everything? ... plus I'm out of warranty. I'm going to try and attempt a back-up, but how can I do that given my situation?

I've tried everything I could to fix this myself before I came on here but I can't find a clear answer. Any help at all is appreciated.

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

How come people learn how to back up after the fact when there are hundreds of posts about backing up. "Oh it can't happen to me because I am so careful." Surprise...

3. goodventure thread starter macrumors newbie

I know how to backup. When my monitor is working.

But I just found a thread telling me how to do a backup with no monitor, so I'll attempt that before I go to the genius bar.

4. goodventure thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to update,

I went to the genius bar yesterday, and it turns out the only problem was that the ram needed to be reseated. Nothing wrong with anything else.

When I slammed my hand on the keyboard it apparently shifted the ram around. They told me that causes a huge range of problems...

Lesson learned, lol.

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca