Macbook Pro Non-Retina Vs. Refurbished Early 2013 Macbook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danny51, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Danny51 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Im currently shopping around for a new laptop as I start University Monday and still have not decided on a Macbook. I originally thought I'd be completely fine purchasing a Non Retina Macbook Pro with student pricing at $999. I was ready to purchase it when I found myself gaining more interest in the Retina version, which seems to be better in every possible way except hard drive space, as well as the obvious difference in price. I feel as is 128GB will be not nearly enough, and the 256GB is $1500 at student pricing, which after tax will be way out of my budget. I've narrowed it down to two choices really, the Newest Non Retina Macbook Pro 13 inch $999, and a Refurbished February 2013 Retina Macbook Pro 13 inch, Non iris and 256 GB.

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FE662LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macBook-Pro-26ghz-Dual-core-Intel-Core-i5-with-retina-Display

There's the link for it... I guess I'm simply just asking for your opinions guys. My laptop will be used for Internet Browsing, Watching shows, Simple Movie editing, Music, and the occasional low requirement gaming (League of Legends).

One of my concerns is also Resale.. I believe by 2-4 Years I will want to sell my macbook, and Im not sure anyone will even want to purchase a non retina by then, or the value will just plummet.
    Also, is the difference in hardware that crazy between the Earlier Retina and current non retina? I know the current retina blows the non retina out of the water, but Im not sure about the early 2013 retina.

I've been saying retina too much lately...

Anyways, let me know what you think guys

Thanks ! :D

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Any retina will totally blow the non-retina 13" out of the water, solely because of the screen alone and SSD.

I'd suggest you go for the early-2013 refurbished retina, and as time passes, when you've got more cash, you can go purchase a Transcend SSD upgrade to increase your SSD space.

3. NZfly macrumors member

Hey forgive me if I'm wrong but the early 2013 retinas still use the old ivy bridge architecture along with intel hd 4000 so they have pretty much the exact same same internals between the non retina and retina the main difference here is the display on the retina and the fact that you'll still have a built in optical drive and expandability on the 2012 model.

In some cases you may even get worse performance on the retina due to having to power the display with only an hd4000.

If I were you I'd grab the standard mid 2012 macbook pro. you can upgrade the ram and storage yourself for cheap as your needs go up. The storage on the early 2013 is upgradeable but not the ram whereas with the mid 2012 you could even upgrade it to 16 gb ram eventually although i doubt you'd ever need that much.

:)

4. carlos00 macrumors newbie

If you get Retina you will have option of more desktop workspace should you need it and better clarity screen. I would suggest also looking at a late 2013 model as apart from clock speed be same spec as current model

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd opt for the Refurb over the non retina model. you're paying premium for 2+ old technology. Why not get the rMBP you get a newer chipset that has a better cpu, gpu, and of course the screen is down right gorgeous.

I agree 256GB is the way to go, 128GB will be too small.

Something else to consider, while not a retina based model, did you look at the MBA?

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Always check the AppleInsider price list. You can often find better prices at MacMall, B&H, and Adorama that Apple Ed discounts. And remember you will play sales tax with Apple or at a local brick and mortar store.

I got my rMBP for $600 off plus free Apple Care around 1 month ago. So check both the price list tabs for without without AppleCare.

7. Danny51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im located in Canada, so many of the Apple Insider listings will not ship to my location. I'm still unsure of this decision, I believe the regular macbook pro nonretina 13 inch will be a great laptop and at $999 it seems like a great bang for buck. Also it includes a $110 Apple gift card which I will be putting towards buying a case and repairing my iphone screen. Will the value for resale of these most likely just plummet within the next couple years? or do you think Ill still be able to make back at least 5 or 6 hundred when selling it in maybe 3 years.

8. carlos00 macrumors newbie

Who's to say.. but my guess is Apple go with an all Retina line up next year (with the MBA and MBP) then almost certainly resale value of all non-retina will drop more than the retina models, you also have to factor SSD vs hdd and fact that hdd will most likely disappear next year too

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Sorry about that. My friends in the Toronto and Montreal areas have been known to drive across the border for a wee bit of shopping now and then. ;)

10. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I think your best bang for your buck is the 999 MBP. Slap an SSD in it and you are off to the races. It will probably not have the greatest resale in 4-5 years as it is competing with all the retinas out on the market, but who cares. This box will be a perfect 4 year Uni companion.

11. Danny51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im leaning towards the refurbished 2013 Early Retina, but Im wondering since that doesn't have Iris or the new chipset technology, is there much a difference between that and the most current retina?