Macbook Pro not connecting to Home Wi-Fi but connects to work Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raziiq, Oct 13, 2013.

1. raziiq macrumors member

Hi there.
    I am using Macbook Pro with Mac OS X 10.8.5. My Macbook is suddenly not getting wireless internet connection from my Wireless Router (It is connected to my Wi-Fi though). All other devices (iPhone, iPad, Windows PC) are connected to the same Router and have internet access without any problem. Same Macbook works fine with the Wi-Fi at work but having problem connecting to internet with Wi-Fi at home.
    Well, I have been looking for the solution to this problem for a week now. Here is what I have already tried

- Zapped PRAM (didn’t work)
    - Deleted System Configuration Folder in /Library/Preferences/ (didn’t work)
    - Removed Network connections and tried adding them again in Wi-Fi Advanced Settings (didn’t work).
    - Tried Apple’s Wireless Diagnostics (didn’t work)
    - Tried Wireless Assistant (didn’t work)
    - Tried creating new locations (didn’t work)
    - Tried deleting and adding Wi-Fi service (didn’t work)
    - Reset Router (didn’t work)
    - Changed security setting in Router from WPA2 to open (didn’t work)
    - Tried dscacheutil - flushcache

The only thing works is changing DNS server to 8.8.8.8 from default (192.168.1.1 which is greyed out). It works but speed is very slow which is already very annoying.

Need suggestions on what to do in this regard?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. raziiq thread starter macrumors member

Router/Modem = PTCL ADSL 2 + Modem (AN1020-25)

Attached Files:

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

For starters that's an ancient 802.11b/g router, I'm going the venture it's probably pretty awful.
    Make sure the firmware is up to date.

5. gCloud macrumors 6502a

router sounds suspect (and old) contact you ISP for replacement.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

turn off wifi on the old router and hookup a new Time Capsule or Extreme. With Time Capsule you will also get a drive for Time Machine backups.

7. sarakn, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Definitely contact your ISP for replacement. I had a linksys wireless router and had used that for some time until I replaced my cable box and found out about the wireless cable modems they had.

It was free to swap, so much faster, and no need for an additional unit.

----------

Being new to Macs, I thought about getting either one but decided it would not serve me well. I have a high speed modem from my ISP that's wireless so AirPort is not required. Also, Time Capsule is AirpPort with a hard drive added. Don't really think I need that if I can use any old external drive for backups - though the ones I have currently do not have wireless capability.

Since I'm mac crazy, I tried to justify the expense, but I prefer the form factor of the older model, not this new one.

Not sure if I can justify the expense of paying $400 for 3TB, when I can get a seagate for less than half the price. Please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

8. raziiq thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replies. Just called ISP, did some factory reset and tried setting PPPoE and Wi-Fi again from scratch, did not work. ISP guy will come to pay a visit tomorrow, hoping for replacement.

BTW all other Apple products like iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 2 are working fine with the same Router, which is strange.

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I have experienced something similar a couple months ago. a 13" MBP could not connect at a house's network, which had been working for upwards of 6 months. I thought they were crazy, until I saw it happening 1st had. Ultimately, I had to go through the motions of deleting any and all history of this network ever existing, then reconnecting about a half dozen times before it would successfully connect again. Sorry that I do not have specifics. But I did eventually find it through some internet searches.

It appears to me, that on rare occasions, the saved configuration for a network connection gets in a really bad state. The only way to fix it, is to remove any and all references to it(obvious and not obvious), then add it again from scratch.

Good Luck, but there is hope. If the new router doesn't work out, I"m sure you can fix the existing one - eventually.

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I've had this problem with some wifi hotspots in office buildings. Sometimes they work, then another day they don't.

I ended up having to manually configure my dns server and search domains and switch to dhcp with manual address. This is all in your network preferences under TCP/IP and DNS tabs.

My iphone connected just fine to the wifi so I knew what values to enter under DNS. After that it worked fine.