MacBook Pro picking up what appears to be an AM radio station? Help needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scottsummer21, Feb 15, 2013.

1. scottsummer21 macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2011
    When I play movies while connecting my mid 2010 macbook pro to my projector using a mini display to VGA. Since my projector does not have an audio output I also run an aux cable splitting to my beats by dre beatbox and a speaker system. I stream the movies from my time capsule and play them through my mbp. The problem is when I am playing these videos I can pick up a static/apparent am radio station coming through my speakers. I cannot figure out what could be causing the problem but i believe that it has something to do with my macbook even though I can't figure it out. I have used different mbp's and this issue does not occur. This issue also occurs only when I am using the projector setup as well. I have tried plugging in headphones as well as playing the audio out of my speakers and this issue did not occur. I have also tried playing the media with both VLC and quicktime and the radio still plays. Since the events have started, I have ran a clean install of mountain lion and the problem is still there. I have no idea what could be causing the issue. any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. dastinger macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2012
    I can't help you solve it but I can assure you that this is caused by hardware and it could not be an issue. I have a friend who had 2 studio audio monitors that picked up a radio station when they were turned on. It was a long time ago so I can't remember if it was an issue or a "feature".
  3. scottsummer21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2011
  4. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Jun 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Your audio cable is most likely acting as a radio antenna. Had this problem years ago with poorly shielded equipment. Used to pickup the local taxi firm.

Try a different cable.
  5. scottsummer21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2011
    Thank you for the information! I will try this in the near future!
  6. amit715 macrumors member

Dec 10, 2012
    new york
  7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    Sunny but Cold.. Canada
    Ding Ding Ding!!

This is almost certainly The Answer.. a 'cheap cable' and an Unbalanced Audio Signal (which any MBP output will be) makes for a reasonably good possibility of unwanted RF (Radio Frequencies) being intercepted..

Changing, or possibly Re-routing the cables, may well fix it!! :apple:
  8. scottsummer21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2011
  9. verseafterverse macrumors member

Mar 17, 2013
    Well the old joke comes in to play here that could help try wrapping the cable in aluminum foil.
  10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

Jul 30, 2003
    Actually not a joke, but could be one valid suggestion. Wrap the cable end-to-end with foil, and ground that foil (on one end only!)
    (might not really be practical with aluminum foil, but the concept to have the entire cable shielded is a useful one that WILL help eliminate signal interference.)