Macbook pro powers off when I place my nexus 4 on the bottom left of the laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rusty009, Apr 13, 2013.

1. rusty009 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 6 month old Macbook pro and a 1 month old Nexus 4 and this morning I encountered a really interesting problem and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

I was working on my macbook pro and I placed my nexus 4 to the left of my trackpad right underneath my keyboard and the macbook power off and goes into standby mode. It powers back on fine and I can just login and the macbook works perfectly.

I have also noticed this only happens when I am on battery, when the power is plugged in nothing happens. The phone needs to be inch perfect on my macbook for it to power off.

So just wanted to know all of your thoughts on the matter?

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Just a guess.....I suspect that your phone or phone case has a magnet that is tripping sleep mode as if you had closed the lid......

3. thehimay macrumors member

Firstly, yes, this is the wrong forum. This should ideally be put over in the MacBook Pro forum. Moving on, however...

Not sure if the Nexus 4 has anything significantly magnetic enough to trigger this (don't think the magnetometer is that strong), but the magnetic sensor (reed switch) for sleeping the MacBook Pro (when you shut the lid) is in the lower half of the body, and you may be triggering it (mimicking closing the lid) with your phone. Discovered this when I could not wake my MBP from a closed–lid state when it's sitting directly on top of another closed MBP.