MacBook Pro Purchase (Retail Locations Out of Stock!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BritCornflake, Jun 18, 2007.

1. BritCornflake macrumors newbie

BritCornflake

Hey, So today i went to the Alderwood Mall Apple Store (Washington) to buy my 15" MacBook Pro (2.2GHz) - Education Discount, and the first thing they said was they were out of stock. So they called the only 3 other stores in Washington too and they were also out of stock... So i've placed my order online just now :) , and the waiting begins...

Does anyone know of other areas that are out of stock in retail locations? I personally find it kind of funny... like "Im in an APPLE store, and you dont even have your own products??" Oh well, the online store is always there, but I really wanted to walk out with it in my hands!

Oh, also: I went down to best buy, because I know they have macs too and asked where the mac section was, the lady pointed to a large empty area in the middle of the store and said "Sorry, we just got them in today, and are setting up the mac area tonight!"... Gah! Not my day :)

2. glygly macrumors newbie

Yep. Here in so cal my local store is out of 15" mbp, I then called another local store, they're out of 2.2ghz only...Frustrating....

3. milky23 macrumors regular

It is the same in the Portland/Tigard area. You need to call the stores every morning at around 10:30-11:00, because it seems they get new trucks in at that time. That is what I did, and today I have a new 17"

4. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

The Apple Store in La Jolla (San Diego) had quite a few 15" 2.2 MBP's in stock. But only the 2.2 with the matte screen. No glossies or 2.4's. I guess I was lucky that that was exactly I was looking for anyway.

I feel ya though. I hate it when things are out of stock. It so satisfying walking out of the store holding a nice shiny new box. :)

5. Illicit macrumors 6502

the Apple stores in Toronto and Waterloo (ontario) don't even have them on display. they're still showcasing the 2nd generation macbooks and mbps.

6. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

When the C2D MBPs came out, I had to call around to see which stores to go to. I'm glad I did because some stores had glossy only, some had matte only, and some had only higher models, and some only had the higher-end models. And since I had to drive two hours to get to ANY store, I think it was worth calling. (Chattanooga, TN, has no Apple stores. However, Nashville, Knoxville, and Atlanta have them, all of which were two hour drives)

7. BritCornflake thread starter macrumors newbie

BritCornflake

I think it kind of reflects badly on Apple that all of their stores are out os stock on certain items. Think of it this way: Basic marketing! If you are going to update your MacBook Pros to make it the "new hot item", and at the same time start your "Back to school Sale", where everyone will be buying a laptop, you should have enough in stock to handle all the orders!

8. wgkealey macrumors member

if you call in will they put one on hold for you? It's like an hour dive for me to get to the store, but it's worth it because of no sales tax. But I don't want the trip to be worthless.

9. falsecathedrals macrumors member

when I tried to buy my mbp in the new hampshire store they were totally out of 2.2s. so I called the cambridgeside store and put a 2.2 glossy on hold for the day. when I got there to buy it, it was the only one left in the store. they were completely out of all 15 inch mbps except for the one with my name on it...

definitely call ahead and put one on hold. just because they have them earlier in the day doesn't mean they will last.

10. jklps macrumors regular

There is a 5-7 work day delay on the online orders...

11. wgkealey macrumors member

Good advice, though it kind of sucks because I don't know if I want Matte or glossy. I think glossy, but I'm not sure.

12. proZak macrumors newbie

See, the thing about glossy is that it deepens the blacks to make it look a little better. But if you're doing any sort of visual work, like editing in FCP, it can completely set you off track with what you think your clips look like.

That's just from an editors point of view, though. If you're just using it for internet and research papers and whatnot, why not.

13. wgkealey macrumors member

I don't plan on using it for editing, but I am a communications student and have done editing. At my school I use their facilities, but I guess I'd rather be safe and go with matte. I still perfer avid to FCP though.

14. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

The Alderwood Best Buy is going to carry Macs? I think that may be a first for Washington?

15. falsecathedrals macrumors member

I was in the same boat. I wasn't sure which one I wanted and couldn't put both on hold. I was leaning towards the glossy so I put that one on hold hoping they would still have both when I got there (much later in the day). Since they were all out they made my decision for me, but really I'm happy with glossy so far. I've been using it for a few days now and haven't seen any glare yet. For me I honestly think I would be happy with either screen.

16. milky23 macrumors regular

17. Mundy macrumors regular

I'm from Chattanooga (Lookout Mountain, to be precise), and I feel your pain about the distance to an Apple Store. :(

18. BritCornflake thread starter macrumors newbie

BritCornflake

Yeah, They had a large area set aside for the "Store within a store" concept area. I was so frustrated!! They were setting it up that night!

In other news:

Everything but my MacBook Pro has shipped, and will arrive by thrusday... and It says my computer wont ship til the 26th!... Oh well!

19. B1RDFLU macrumors newbie

Here in Dallas all the stores were sold out. they put me on a waiting list and they got a shipment in on the 19 and called me to come pick it up.

Great Success:)

20. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

The FOUR stores in the Saint Paul/Minneapolis area are all out of the 2.4 Glossy 15" MBPs and I am pissed. Ive called in 2 days now at 11 and no luck.

How long will Apple let their FOUR stores sit without a product? :mad:

21. poke4christ macrumors member

I'm in a similar boat. My printer has shipped and will probably arive by Saturday, but my 15" 2.4 MBP is still waiting to ship :mad:. I guess I'll just have to deal with it. However, it says shipping 21-25, so it isn't as bad as you I guess.

This is my fist mac though and I'm just so ready for it. I'm looking up the order status about every 2 hours. :D

22. BritCornflake thread starter macrumors newbie

BritCornflake

More than FOUR! Like I said - If they are going to have a huge "back to school promo" they need to stock up on the items that are going to sell the most for college bound students - Laptops!

23. gwprice macrumors newbie

Exactly the same thing happened to me in Pittsburgh. This is the third day I've called for Glossy 2.4 15" MBPs, and each day the shipments are only bringing in the mattes!

I wonder if Apple themselves is sold out...

24. BritCornflake thread starter macrumors newbie

BritCornflake

OK! Everything but my mac arrived today :)! My printer, iPod, Office 4 Mac student edish, and neopreene case! Just like 5 more days til it FINALLY SHIPS!

25. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

The only Apple stores in all of Canada are in Toronto and Laval: http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/

While I'm not sure about the other Toronto locations, the Eaton Centre Apple Store had MBPs in stock as of this past Monday.