Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook Pro RAM advise

iceqube33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2020
Hey,

I recently lost my job (thanks COVID) and I am looking to buy a MBP. I am a developer and I need a computer to be able to interview. The software that I will use on it are Android studio/Xcode, zoom, affinity/apple photos, iTunes, and a bunch of background utilities.

I’ve decided to buy the i7/1TB but I am not sure if the upgrade to 32 GB is worth it considering a 400$ up charge and money is a bit tight unless I find a job fairly soon. Once I do get a job, I intend to buy a 5K iMac too that’ll most likely be maxed out on processor and will DIY the RAM.

Considering all of this, what do you guys suggest? Get the 16GB and save 400 or get the 32GB?

jazz1

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Hey,

I recently lost my job (thanks COVID) and I am looking to buy a MBP. I am a developer and I need a computer to be able to interview. The software that I will use on it are Android studio/Xcode, zoom, affinity/apple photos, iTunes, and a bunch of background utilities.

I’ve decided to buy the i7/1TB but I am not sure if the upgrade to 32 GB is worth it considering a 400$ up charge and money is a bit tight unless I find a job fairly soon. Once I do get a job, I intend to buy a 5K iMac too that’ll most likely be maxed out on processor and will DIY the RAM.

Considering all of this, what do you guys suggest? Get the 16GB and save 400 or get the 32GB?

I can’t directly answer your question. Have you considered an Apple.com refurbished laptop? It might save you some money and enable you to bump the memory configuration.

Comment

nothingtoseehere

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2020
Most people here say that 16 GB are enough unless you do high-res video/3D stuff.
I wish you luck for a new job and a huge iMac.

Comment

James_C

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I don’t think you will notice much difference between 16GB and 32 for your use cases. Not worth the extra to upgrade.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.