MacBook Pro Retina 15 (2013) yellow screen, and horrible customer service

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rayedison, Mar 23, 2013.

1. rayedison, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

rayedison macrumors newbie

Hi guy
    recently I just bought a MBPR online with apple and after I used for few weeks I find out I got a white spot on my screen. and i bring it back to the store, they did replace for me very quickly so I pick it up today. But after I got home I turn on the macbook soon I realize the screen are very yellow compared to the screen I had before. because I don't have any mac on hand so I did a little comparison with my Iphone 5 and Ipad 2. its a huge different from my point of view. So i bring back to apple again ,then the guy that helped me before was doing some inspection at it, and he was like I think its perfectly normal. after that I even shown him the comparison picture I got. anyway later on he was like (ME and YOU will have an agreement I will replace for you this time , but this will be the last time you replace the screen , because you can't keep on coming and replace it) I was like WTF its my second time , who want to keep coming back and wait for this ****.and you can't see the difference between my MBPR and the one in to store? and he was like because it different kind of screen of course it will have different color ....

WTF?

anyway I just have a question for you guys, if you guy have a MBPR or iphone 5 on the same google home page are the WHITE color almost the same? or MBPR are always more yellowish ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is some update for you guys I went in to the store yesterday and the "genius" are some stupid assho$% , he keep telling me to calibrate the screen system, and telling me that I got a higher expectation on the screen than others , so I put my computer next to the MBPR at the store and you guys can see how different this colour looks.(of course my is on the right, keep in mind both macbook's screen are in original setting with calibrated )[​IMG] [​IMG]

so again that genius is keep telling me to calibrate it ,and I was like okay you calibrate it for me If you can recover back to the original colour I will take my mac and out the door. he tried but guess what ? after he CALIBRATE it still looks like **** . Its either Blue or yellow , so that doesn't make me a happy customer . later on I asked for refund , after they check my serial number lucky I can refund it. but I didn't bring my macbook charger with me so I have to wait till tmmr to refund.

and it being..

so I went back to store today , First I have to re-start my conversation with other guy again and he asked where I bought my macbook I was like in Hong kong online apple store. and he was like we don't do refund for oversea product , and I told him just go talk to the manger , so he did . later on he came back and start to erase my computer and whatever . so i thought everything were fine ,but during the time I was trying to look for my online purchase receipt , the manger came and told me : we can't do oversea refund anymore because thats our policy , the only way for you to do so , you need to ship back to hong kong and refund from there. I was like you want me to spend around $160 to pay for your mistake? and than the manger was like we fix the screen for you IN APPLE STANDARD , so we can't do anything to help.
    so.. get to the point that I'm very mad, especially he doesn't even let me exchange to a NEW macbook, so I left this cheap ass store and go home . however I decide to call the apple canada customer service they were very nice she gave me two option
    1. let the local apple store fix it again , if still have yellowish screen,they will replace a new unit for me. ( The problem is they won't accept the fact that my macbook screen are yellow)
    2.if i have a picture to send it to her and she will give to their won tech person to resolve this situation for me, lucky I do have some picture save in my iPhone . so I send her these picture , lets see how they gonna fix this .

2. heatx macrumors newbie

From all of the posts I'm seeing about people having problems with their rMBP purchases I feel like I got lucky for getting one with no issues.

It also seems like if you do end up with a faulty unit out of the box, it's always a hassle; with some people having to return to the genius bar multiple times before ending up with a good working unit with no issues. Has anyone else noticed this?

As far as the yellow screen thing, I haven't noticed anything of the sort. White is white on mine. I use flux which yellows the screen a bit to mimic the indoor lighting at night but that's what it's supposed to do. With that disabled, I haven't noticed any issues.

3. Bazu macrumors regular

I've recently bought 2013 rMBP 15" the highest end model (without BTO).
    No issues whatsoever. It replaced my desktop PC, great for Adobe apps and some games like SC2HotS & Diablo 3.

With screen I'm lucky I guess. I've got Samsung one.
    Fingers crossed. It's good copy which hopefully should serve for years.

To other unlucky posters. I think those unhappy are usually the most visible ones. Why happy person would even have reason to come here and talk how happy he is?

Unhappy person come here to release anger, find help or else.
    Wonder if any of them were just simple trolls.

Anyway i hope you get your rMBP problems solved. It's great piece of hardware and software. That comes from a old Mac user who had to be around with Windows for last year and a half (beat that terrible experience :) ).

4. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

My rMBP's white point is distinctly warmer than both my iPhone 5 and iPad 4. It hasn't in the slightest bothered me, though.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My rMBP does is not more yellowish then my iPhone 5, in fact they're both pretty much the same.

6. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

You're right for having high expectations. These things aren't cheap. Did you compare your screen to another in the store? I would be doing the same as you if I were in your situation.

7. jesaja macrumors member

All Mac notebooks I've seen to date have slightly yellowish screens. I guess that's just how Apple calibrates them.

The one in my rMBP is funny in that regard – more yellowish, almost slightly greenish, on the left side, while it's got more of a magenta hue on the right side. I's very slight though, and not to the point that it bothers me (yet :rolleyes:)

8. sensorian macrumors member

Mine had a yellowish hue but I calibrated it and it's fine now. Probably not technically accurate in terms of colours but it suits my personal preferences.

9. MrManwelo macrumors member

I too have had a terrible customer experience (see here). They make you feel like you are trying to get something for nothing, when in reality it's a fault on a very expensive piece of equipment that is just unacceptable.

My iPhone 5 is slightly different to my MBPR. I would say that the MBPR has a slight red hue in comparison.

10. rayedison thread starter macrumors newbie

see my upadte and is it this much different than yours?

----------

thank you . yes I did , and you can see my updates

----------

yes you are very lucky because this is the second macbook I had problem with , please check my update and pcitures

thank you

----------

I know! I felt they think you are just try to take advantage from them, but guess what we all have our own things to do ! aren't nobody got time for that !

----------

thats good for you , but I just need a normal standard of white , not a yellowish white . if I lat this happen when I tried to do my job Im pretty sure my picture will look fine in my computer after I add , but look **** in others for sure.

----------

Lucky you ! I mean I love everything about it , just the screen and the service are horrible !

11. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

I went through this when the old mac books pros had the bottom yellow screen.

First the "Geniuses" there try to act like you're stupid and can't possibly know anything about a mac computer.
    Then they try to convince you it is normal.
    Then they say you can return it at a 150.00 loss like it is your fault the screen is pee yellow.
    I don't get why people love the APPLE stores because I never got great service there. They try to always come off as smarter then you when they are just kids in college still.

12. rayedison thread starter macrumors newbie

very true , even the "genius" that I talk to in the store , try to convince me that he is not the one can calibrate the screen to my "standard", and tell me to go find the pro to calibrate for me , I mean seriously if your "geniuses" can't even calibrate my screen back to normal that clearly means the macbook is having some problem. however it shouldn't have to calibrate to be look right at the fast place. horrible service. So what happen to your macbook now ?

13. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Hi rayedison, after reviewing your photo I must say mine is very similar to the macbook on the left. If yours (the one on the right) has the identical brightness settings and color profile to the one on the left then I would definitely ask for an exchange. That panel looks way too dim and yellow :(

14. rayedison thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for reply !
    lucky you , all the brightness level and screen calibrate setting are exactly the some with both MBPR. well I don't understand how they can't see this yellow colour.

15. MrManwelo macrumors member

My rMBP looks like the healthy one on the left also (despite being on its last legs ATM). Your MacBook is faulty. They should do something. Maybe phone up customer support again and speak to a manager. Maybe even direct them to this thread.

16. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

OP,

pulled up the google page on both my Samsung 15R and my iphone five.. tried to make them about the same brightness and the macbook was a cooler brighter white where as the iphone had a warmer yellow feel.

If you are within the return policy tell them u dont want a faulty computer and it is obserd to have taken it apart. Ask for a replacement.. i would prob visit a different apple store too..

or just give apple a call.. you could prob ship them the computer for a refund.

17. Kaske macrumors newbie

Kaske

Buddy, rest assured that the issues do exist. I’ve tracked and recorded successfully image retention and screen flickering on my Retina LG as an unbeatable evidence for which I got the Samsung replacement, but now with a clearly yellow tone over it. It’s like 15% less saturation, messed up white point and 20% less brightness than the LG.

The problem is I tried to calibrate the screen (Spyder3Pro) but the results weren’t good. However, after XX attempts of manual calibration I finally managed to calm down the ugly yellows, but a bit of contrast and saturation was the price. However, it is much better than the default state.

There are also other discussions on this forum that even show some of the spectral analysis for the screen and it is not as expected for the highest end laptop on the market at the time of arrival.

Trolling my ass.

18. serenesam macrumors member

serenesam

I would suspect this would continue to be the trend as the blacks deepen.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I read some speculations that the "yellowness" was due to bonding which hadn't completely set. I'm not sure about that, but calibration is extremely limited. The colorimeter you're using should be sufficient. Some older ones were not really designed with LED backlit displays in mind. I had an old DTP-94b around. Those were not appropriate for newer displays. I'm not sure they're even supported anymore. Anyway it resets any output adjustments and measures the results, then generates new output adjustments in the form of a matrix adjusted at 4 points per channel IIRC and an updated description of the display gamut. It's a fairly limiting method. I think your 15% hypothesis may be slightly exaggerated as that is an enormous gap. Let's say it was 15% too yellow though. The way this software would have to deal with it would be to reduce the red and green outputs (although not necessarily 15% each). Some higher end displays have better ways of dealing with this, but even then you really are dependent on the factory. You can't truly fix this with consumer devices.

I just wanted to add that.

20. Shmanky macrumors regular

Same problem: bought a 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Got a cool blue screen with stuck pixels in the corner. Got the screen replaced and the replacement was a Samsung screen with a yellow/green tint. I don't know if the first blue screen was LG or Samsung.

I have problems with every Apple product I buy. I should go back to Windows and get an Android.

21. Lyshen macrumors 6502

If you want to go back to Windows and Android, thats your choice.

No product is always perfect, whether Windows, Mac, Android, based.

Now how their customer service is, well there can obviously be improvement there.

I just got a 15" rMBP last week, did some tests, and it has slight ghosting (LG display and SanDisk SSD). Took it back and had it exchanged, got lucky, one with Samsung display and Samsung SSD.

When I exchanged it, they were very pleasant about it. But yeah varies from location to location.

22. maxosx macrumors 68020

I can only speculate that either Apple has lowered their quality standard, or they cant keep up with demand, or both. I too have received defective Apple products in the last few years.

Prior to 2010 I bought many Apple computers, all came out of the box looking & functioning like new. Not once did I ever have to be concerned about getting a defective product.

At some point I'm sure Apple will try to improve, returning to the quality of the past.

23. Retina2020 macrumors newbie

Hello Rayedison,
    Thank you for your post and picture. I hope Apple have resolved your issue for you. I am in the process of resolving very similar situations...however, this screen replacement is on my 3rd "out of the box" MBPR within 6 months from Apple. So as Maxosx had stated in his comments, there seemed to be an overall quality issue with recent Apple products (and may I add, customer service). The biggest challenge for Apple moving forward is really not the products itself, but rather the selection/training of its "Geniuses" and management to have better conflict management skills.
    This is my first ever Apple computer, and I must say it has been a very disappointing experience. The first computer I received had a screen flickering issue on slideshow mode within two weeks of purchase...so Apple replaced it for a NEW one. Two weeks after receiving my replacement computer (computer#2), the notebook heated up to a point where it was hot to touch the keypad, and it had a dead pixel, AND, then it went into "sleep" mode and, lets just say, never woke up. So they determined that it was a CPU issue and wanted to replace the CPU on computer #2. I said NO...give me another NEW computer, PLEASE! I am not going to have a $4K (lots of upgrades) FIXED within two weeks of open box. They finally agreed, and thus I now have computer#3. So within the first month of my purchase, I was without my computer for ~10 days, and 2 replacements.
    With computer#3, it worked fine for 5 months and then the screen had a faded section in the right lower quadrant along with a dead pixel...AND, sporadic loss of control over the mouse pad - meaning I cannot move the curser using the mouse pad and would have to manually shut down the computer. Even after manual shutdown and reboot, the mousepad still does not work. So, I again, have to make an appointment to see the "Genius" who said all this could be from a faulty screen and he will replace the screen and run full diagnostics on software and hardware...All this took 6 days with me having to contact them for updates AND be without my computer once again.
    When I picked up my computer and brought it home, I immediately noticed that my images are not the same quality as before...it appeared more yellow, liked an aged photograph. Your comparative picture is a perfect example of the screen quality. So once again, I have to make an appointment to bring my computer back for discussion. To make the story short, the discussions was very similar to your experience...they even went as far as to say that replacing the computer is not an option and that I have to "eyeball the scale to my liking" and states that I would have to purchase a device (Spyder) to calibrate my screen. They also told me to go home and call Apple Care to address the issue with Apple Care as there is nothing they can do for me there. Seriously? Totally not acceptable. They tried and tried to convince me that there is nothing wrong with the computer, and that it all within specs. Very comical, truly.
    So very similar to your experiences, they made me feel like it is my fault for their defective products and that I was trying to get something for nothing. I asked for the manager, and they brought me an assistant manager, which was of no use. She said they would replace the screen again, but can't guarantee that I will have the "cool" tone screen that I wanted. She said that is all she could do and that she can't just keep exchanging $2300 computers. I asked her to look at my purchase history, which she hasn't done, and then come back to talk to me. After two hours, I realized it is futile to try to have any intelligent discussion with the resources at hand, so I had them replace the screen and call me to let me know if the color is still "warm" or whether it is like the ones that came out of the box.
    The word after the second screen replacement is, it is still "warm" and that all NEW MBPR will have this screen. LOL. We shall see about that.
    I will be in again today to see the "store manager". Can't wait!

24. xxbrankxx macrumors member

I would like to get a rMPB because I have ghosting on my aging 2008 24" iMac. I really want a new 27" iMac but I read about ghosting still exists. So I say fine I'll get a rMPB and just hook it up to a 27" monitor. Then I read about yellow screen problems on these laptops, this is just crazy, it's totally out of hand. These issues shouldn't exist on computers this expensive. Are they using faulty equipment? Are they just slapping stuff together? There's no quality control anymore. And then to have these "Geniuses" down talk your issue, is totally insulting. The company they work for sold you a faulty machine and they wanna give you attitude? You need to stand by your product.

25. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

u requested a samsung screen? thats possible?