Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixsicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Hi All,

First I want to note that I did use the search function and manually searched the first few pages of threads and could not find anything on this topic, so I apologize if there is one but I did not find it.

Anyway, I purchased a base MBP Retina prior to Mountain Lion and it worked fine, no issues whatsoever. It all started after I upgraded to ML and after I logged in, my screen would turn black and my MBP would basically freeze on a random basis, with the only way to remedy being to hard reset. I've called Apple tech support a number of times and I've tried all of their suggestions and none have worked. There is a workaround for it which is basically disabling auto login, however this is only a temporary solution.

There is also a long thread about it on the Apple support forums here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4143957?start=225&tstart=0

So the reason I'm posting is because every Apple rep I've spoken with has told me that my issue is the first they've heard of it and more or less insinuated that the problem is quite isolated. The thing is, I don't know if I believe them and kind of get the feeling they're trying to downplay the issue and so was hoping to see if other fellow MBP retina owners could chime in.
here to see if you're being affected by this issue as well?

So, MBP Retina owners who have updated to ML with Login enabled, have you been affected by a random black screen after logging in?

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Mine has done it twice after being shut off completely for a while. Did it this afternoon after I shut it off last night. It boots up fine, enter my login password then black screen.

shack

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
yea I've got this problem as well. The backlight is on but the screen is black forcing me to hold down the power button to restart. Happened quite a few times.

mykelala01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Does clean install helps? Like you said you upgrade. How about doing a clean instal?

sixsicks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Does clean install helps? Like you said you upgrade. How about doing a clean instal?

Nope, as far as I know the only thing that helps is either downgrading back to Lion or enabling Autologin. I did a clean install only to get the black screen on my second boot. My suggestion would be to notify Apple that you're having this issue. I think this problem is software related and affects all MBPr's that have upgraded to ML, which is why I would like to see Apple make fixing this a top priority if that were the case, which is what I'm trying to find out right now.

Maybe the question I should have asked is if there are any MBPr users out there who have upgraded to ML and have not experienced this issue, and if so, how long have you been using ML for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.