Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook Pro Retina from Dec 2012 running hot

SidK4425

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
Hey guys, I've been noticing that my MacBook Pro Retina from late 2012 has begun to run hot. I've tried a few things and it appears to have the same issue.

1. Did a Malware check
2. Reformatted the OS
3. Opened up the laptop for the first time to clean out the dust (I made sure the fans did not spin when I blew air into them)

It seems to still be running hot in the upper middle section of the keyboard right were the CPU should be I believe. I have tried to run apple diagnostics by unplugging all devices and making sure the firmware pw is off. I get to the diagnostic page and enter my wifi info. I then get an error icon message saying "apple.com/support-2150D. It will not load the diagnostic test. Not sure what is going on.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts to what the issue could be. I have also been thinking it could be the thermal paste? What is the best way to check the CPU temperature on the device?

Thanks!

satcomer

macrumors 604
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Yes with such an OLD Mac consider opening it up and cleaning it out! Plus with such and old system consider open it up and change the Processor Thermal Paste because that stuff tends to dry out, especially in dry climates!

Comment

SidK4425

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
I've cleaned it out and it was quite dusty. I'm looking into replacing the thermal paste next. Any ideas why the hardware diagnostic won't run though?

Yes with such an OLD Mac consider opening it up and cleaning it out! Plus with such and old system consider open it up and change the Processor Thermal Paste because that stuff tends to dry out, especially in dry climates!

Comment

SidK4425

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2020
It was around back then and the test does load. Its just when I try to connect to the internet it gives me an error.

Attachments

• IMG_5671.jpeg
    IMG_5671.jpeg
    504.4 KB · Views: 18
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.