MacBook Pro Retina - Is the screen made of glass?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by solsearchin, Dec 14, 2014.

1. solsearchin, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

solsearchin macrumors member

My screen has developed what looks like pitting in glass ( top left in the black border ). I first noticed this when the black border was starting to flake off. Has anyone delt with this before?

Screen:

http://m.imgur.com/gpPszSx

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They are glass but

They are thinner than in previous versions and have an anti glare laminate on them thart seems to be particularly prone to damage and then flaking off. They really don't like any sort of solvent even IMS alcohol and current Apple advice is to clean with only a damp soft cloth...

3. solsearchin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Looking at it, it looks like a top portion is chipping off. Wiping it with a microfiber cloth is removing some black dust/specks of black. I have an appointment at the apple store. Hopefully they don't put the blame on us... I have never used any solvents of any kind on the screen or body.

4. Silon macrumors member

If it is still under warranty Apple will most likely replace your screen.

5. solsearchin thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is, I purchased it about a month or 2 ago.

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Dude. That picture. WHAT are you smearing on your screen? That is disgusting.

7. solsearchin thread starter macrumors member

Lol... It's just finger print smudges with a microfiber cloth and maybe a few dust specks. I couldn't get a picture of it on a totally clean screen with my crappy phone camera.

8. solsearchin thread starter macrumors member

Brought it in to the Apple Store and the representative took it in without issue. Will be getting a new screen. One of the good things about paying the apple tax is the premium service. +1 for Apple.

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Boringly typical.

And you are correct, except that there is no "Apple Tax" anymore. Apple just doesn't make cheap/crappy/low-end stuff, which is what pundits and trolls alike love to draw comparisons to.

10. blooperz macrumors 6502

Apple tax is still alive and well...no idea what would cause you to think otherwise

11. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Well, compare the cost of my top-end Retina Macbook Pro to an equivalent Dell or something of the sort. The comparison has been run many times: the rMBP comes up a bit cheaper in many configurations. And that's not counting cost savings from not having to purchase antivirus and backup utilities, or the cost in your own time to eliminate bloatware that so many computers come loaded with nowadays (artificially subsidizing the machines' prices).

The new retina iMac is another example. It retails for less than the cost of some comparable monitors alone!

12. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

The 2014 Mac Mini, entry level 21.5" iMac, and iPad mini 3 would like to have a word with you.