macbook pro retina takes 20 seconds to go to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yth, Oct 11, 2013.

1. yth macrumors member

yeah so my macbook pro retina takes TWENTY seconds to go to sleep. it wasn't always this way. a week ago, it would go to sleep in a second. as far as i can tell, nothing has changed. i've tried closing programs (and processes in activity monitor) to identify the specific cause - but it will happen even when nothing is running.

first, my macbook pro wouldn't wake up from sleep and now it doesn't go to sleep! wtf is it designed to mirror my actual life???

2. jon08 macrumors 65816

After the latest 10.8.5 supplemental update, my late-2011 MBP also started taking unusually long to go to sleep (almost a minute!). I ran OnyX and things went back to normal.

3. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Everyone has this problem.

I have this problem on the MBA as well. It's definitely OS related.

But if you safe boot, it should go back to normal for maybe a day and will eventually take 20 seconds to sleep again. Some people mention it has to do with the printer que... it has nothing to do with the printer que.

4. yth thread starter macrumors member

5. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Safe boot and clear your printer que.

But this is only a temporary fix.

6. yth thread starter macrumors member

You guys must be joking... my laptop takes 20 seconds to go to sleep! Surely there is a fix? Should I take it into the Apple Store?

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No sarcasm intended...but this is a terrible problem because...?

8. bernhard macrumors member

...because it already worked as intended until a few weeks ago... therefore this issue should be fixed.
    And yes, there is a problem: I put the MBP in a neoprene sleeve as soon as I close the lid and only recently discovered that it's not sleeping immediately. Sure there are better things to do to a notebook than cutting off its ventilation.

regards,
    Bernhard

9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Everyone has the sleep problem, if they could fix your issue they'd fix everyone's.

10. yth thread starter macrumors member

A problem because... I put my laptop to sleep all the freaking time, but now have to wait 20 seconds where it used to take 2?

For example, suppose class ends and everyone gets up to leave. I'm sitting there for 20 seconds blocking everyone's way because my $3000 laptop won't turn off

11. anzio macrumors 6502

Do you sit in front of the door? Either way, close your laptop lid and put it away. It'll go to sleep.

12. that1guyy macrumors 6502

They're called aisles dude, like lecture halls.

13. Haiku214 macrumors member

I have the same issue and I believe this is google chrome related. I managed to fix the problem by going into Activity Monitor and "Quit Process" all google chrome related processes (e.g. Helper, Renderer, Worker, etc.). Simply closing the google chrome window will not work. This fixed my 20 second sleep problem.

14. buddyspencer macrumors regular

? Why don't close the lid and leave your retina or put it in your bag?

I don't care about that because it doesn't matter.

Waking up from sleep is much more important!

15. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

What is it you think you're going to damage but putting it in your bag before it sleeps?

In my experience people who bring the price of something into the argument probably should not have bought whatever they're talking about. It's no more or less acceptable at different price points.