Macbook Pro running sluggish

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by huebag, Aug 12, 2011.

1. huebag macrumors newbie

New to forum, appreciate anyones help.

you probably get a lot of these posts but some one elses opinion would be great.

I bought a 2011 Macbook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2.3Ghz 750Gb hdd, probably bought it about 2 months ago.

It has started running very sluggish, and overheating and turning off. It can take up to 2 seconds to open a folder off the desktop, photoshop is very slow (it is a legit version), iphoto was so slow i actually deleted it as it was causing the machine to freeze whenever it was open.

Browsing in chrome is moderately slow, firefox is shockingly slow. constant freezing, beachballing. Constantly having to force quit browsers.

I have maybe 250 GBs of files on the hard drive, photos in lightroom, 80GB in itunes. It was actually hanging up and freezing before i put photos on it.

I swear i had less issues with my 2007 macbook. I tried verifying disk permissions, verify disk came with no issues.

Should i just take it back to the shop? i live in country NSW australia, the trip to the mac store in sydney where it came from is a good 5 hours, so not having to send it away would be preferable.

Any advice?

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

I hate to say it but that does sound like a harddrive problem. Apple will let you send it to them by mail, so I'd do that instead of taking a 5 hour trip. Hell, the Apple support guy may even be able to solve the problem without the need to send it in!

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

you might want to take a look at the software that is running. post a screen shot if you can.

i have found that every once in a while adobe acrobat pro goes rogue and sucks up all of my resources even when it is supposed to be doing nothing. i'll be working, finish up my files, and then the computer starts beachballing and churning out page-outs. Things slow to a crawl, and once I had to force it to reset because I couldn't get programs to close. It was weird. Fortunately, it has only gotten that bad one time.

at any rate, resetting the computer solves the problem.

4. huebag thread starter macrumors newbie

on an average day i would be running photoshop, itunes, chrome, maybe vlc would be open. I know that both photoshop and itunes are pretty resource hungry, but i guess i was hoping they wouldn't totally freeze my system. a screen shot of what exactly?

if it is a hard drive issue, bummer. everyone i know that has bought a macbook pro recently has had a hard drive crash, so maybe it was blind faith that i wouldn't happen to me

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm guessing palpatine probably was suggesting taking a look at what is running using Activity Monitor and taking a screenshot of that? Definitely something I'd check.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

yep. that. if i saw it correctly, adobe was running at over 100% of resources that day it took over my computer.

7. huebag thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen shot 2011-08-13 at 12.08.05 PM.png

thanks, i realised that was he meant after i posted the question.

8. huebag thread starter macrumors newbie

and its still runnings pretty slow. and thats just with everything idling in the background

9. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

That actually seems unusually low... Harddrive may indeed be the problem. I'd contact Apple if I was you. Their customer support is top-notch, and he can walk you though various diagnostics, and in the end decide wether or not it needs to be sent in.

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

thanks. i've got nothin. could you show us your page outs and other information as well? i don't know if that will help, but who knows. i assume you have space on your hard drive and all of that as well.

11. huebag thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh cool, ill give my mates at apple a call, see what happens.

thanks for your help anyway

12. huebag thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen shot 2011-08-13 at 12.21.45 PM.png

page ins: 29.35Gb
    Page outs: 4.86 GB

ive got about 300GB hdd free

13. alFR macrumors 68020

I'm no expert but it looks like you might be low on RAM? If it's not that, have you tried verifying your disk with Disk Utility?

14. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Yeah, sure looks like he's getting close to running out of RAM there.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It does look like you can use more RAM, I think you would be well served by backing up your data just in case especially if you're just having these issues and didn't have them before.

16. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Yeah looks like RAM, but when you're on Activity Monitor change the tab at the top from "my processes" to "all processes" that way you can see everything that's going on not just what your user account is showing.