Macbook Pro runs at 160° constantly. doesn't get cooler

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jpsimon, Aug 13, 2008.

1. jpsimon macrumors member

Hey guys, my 2.33ghz intel core 2 duo 17" macbook pro runs at 158 - 160° with the fans at full speed (6000rpms) constantly... I turn on the computer, run no applications and the computer gets that hot and the fans come on and never shut off.. the temp never goes down no matter what I do.

i'm running 10.5.4.... have any of you had this issue??

2. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Run Acticity Monitor, look at your processes, and sort them by the CPU %. There may well be some rogue process thrashing your processor in the background or something. If it's not that, then I'd say there's some kind of hardware problem, probably time for the Apple Store in that case...

Ed

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Has it been doing this from day one?

Are all the sensors reporting the same 158-160? or just a few specific ones?

If it's still under applecare I would recommend not turning it on again (incase the heat does it damage) and taking it to an apple store.

4. jpsimon thread starter macrumors member

it has not been doing this since day one... it's been doing it for a month or two now

5. jpsimon thread starter macrumors member

just running adium and safari... safari is at the top of the list with CPU: 1.7 - 4ish while i'm not using it... and up to 14 or so when i switch to it

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

7. m1stake macrumors 68000

8. operator207 macrumors 6502

+1 for this. It really sounds like you have some process that is running at startup in the background spinning out of control.

9. jpsimon thread starter macrumors member

i checked the activity monitor and it doesn't seem like anything is making it do that =\

10. Definity macrumors member

Take it to the Genius Bar, they'd be able to look at it for free even if you've not got an Apple Care plan.

11. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502