MacBook Pro runs on battery, but shows 'X' signal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iDutchman, Jan 28, 2012.

1. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I received an late '06 2.16GB Core 2 Duo 1TB HDD (upgraded) 4GB RAM MacBook Pro.

Now, it will not boot off the battery. But once it is connected to the power cord, it will boot. I can also immediately remove the cable and it will continue to boot from the battery.

So, it will most definitely run from the battery.

The software however, shows the X symbol along with 'No batteries installed'. System profiler gives the same info and coconut battery says nothing is in there as well.

The MacBook Pro also does not charge the battery, so it will run out and the MagSafe connector keeps it's green light at all times.

I tried resetting PRAM and SMC and PMU as well.. but to no avail.

Anyone knows what can be the problem? It runs when booted on the battery when disconnected from the AC..

Also, I tried a brand new battery as well. So I tried 2.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues. I would try resetting SMC again.

If another SMC reset doesn't help, check out the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link.

If that doesn't help, and the problem exists even with a new battery, you may have a problem with your logic board. Are these Apple batteries, or knockoff batteries?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

These are absolute brand new Apple genuine batteries, both bought today. Just got unwrappend. (I work at the Apple Store in Amsterdam, so therefore I get it all cheap). But, I've not yet asked them what to do.

But because of the oddness, I figured the worldwide web might know more.:roll eyes:

I'll try another SMC reset one more time.

----------

SMC reset again, did not make any difference.:mad:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are 3 primary components to charging: the MagSafe adapter, the battery and the logic board. If you've ruled out the first two as possible problems, that only leaves the logic board. A trip to the Apple store for them to check it out may be appropriate.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

There is an Apple Store in Amsterdam? I thought at this point there were only resellers in Netherlands.

I would guess that the 2006 MBP has some minor defect - maybe one of your techs can run a diagnosis on it?

6. iDutchman, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I work at an reseller. Although, the biggest of Holland.

The official Apple Store is due to be opened at Februari 18th.

I will do that, yes.

----------

Also, fans seem to run at close to 6000RPM when doing nothing.. after +/- 10 minutes they drop to 4200 RPM

7. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

No one has any other idea?

8. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

IT WORKS!!

I actually disconnected the battery cable from the logic board and reconnected while the battery was inside. When I reconnected it, the magsafe turned orange! and it booted without the magsafe plug! It works completely now, giving the charge left and charging the battery.

This MacBook Pro was given to me as an defective one and had probably been running with this problem for over 1.5 years!

Still though, the sensor for the backlight keyboard acts really weird. It sort of makes the keyboard light pulsing.