Macbook Pro said about 6 hours of battery remain and 10 mins later says 2 hours Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by irunthistown, Apr 15, 2011.

1. irunthistown macrumors newbie

Can someone explain this ? I just opened final cut and watched a couple videos on Quicktime.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's just basing that estimation on current usage, so watching videos uses more power, and will decrease your estimation.

3. GGJstudios, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery life is determined by a number of factors, including screen brightness, WiFi, Bluetooth and what you have running. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. irunthistown thread starter macrumors newbie

So it can drop by 4 hours in less than 10 mins ?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. Read the FAQ I posted. It also helps to calibrate your battery, to make sure your readings are accurate. Instructions are in that FAQ.

6. superericla macrumors 6502

It estimates the battery life based on what you're doing. All that it is saying is that with Final Cut and those quicktime movies oven you should only expect 2 hours of battery life. The expected battery life would increase if you lowered your usage (i.e. closed quicktime or final cut).

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

If you open up final cut pro, then it uses up more CPU and hence a bigger battery drain.

8. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

The battery time you have read regarding 7 hours life, Is with 50% brightness or so and minimal usage... the more you have running the less battery you have and playing a movie Is one thing that really sucks battery...

9. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

The only way to deal with this is to throw your MBP out of the nearest window.

10. iMackPro macrumors 6502

+1.

especially if you have the higher end 15 with the big boy GPU

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Final Cut and quicktime both chew up the battery to some degree, especially FCP.
    I can comfortably get 7 hours plus out of my mid 2010 15" i5 on light useage (web browsing etc) but if I start hitting the meaty apps then that battery will plummet.
    Ripping a DVD in handbrake will reduce it from 7 hours plus to around 90 mins for example.

Also, do follow GGJ`s guide and calibrate your battery, it won`t improve the life of the battery but you will get more accurate estimates.

Better yet, switch to percentage instead of time remaining, you stress about it less I find...