MacBook Pro scratch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleincognito, Dec 4, 2016.

1. appleincognito macrumors member

Hey all,

Just purchased my new MacBook Pro 13" with touchbar and I noticed a scratch near the speaker here, everything else with the laptop seems fine so I'm wondering if it's even worth returning over?

[​IMG]

2. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Send it back and get a new one. In the future that scratch will remind you of the missed opportunity of not having sent it back. If you pay such a high price for a laptop, you should expect for it to be in prestine condition.

3. augenleet macrumors member

I'm replacing my second 15" (as soon as it's back in stock) because of similar flaws. I wouldn't want to live with that considering it's the most expensive piece of technology I've bought and the future resale value.

4. Uplift macrumors 6502

I wouldn't accept mine if it had a retina pixel sized scratch. These things are expensive, it better damn be perfect.

I also personally wouldn't buy a scratched pre-owned Macbook, assuming others are the same, it could impact resale-ability.

5. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I guess I'll be calling them tonight. Are they able to ship me one faster than the estimated shipping on their site?

6. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Find a store with one. I walked into my local store and bought mine.

7. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

My max 13" bto isn't showing in stock at any store near me...

8. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

Is it really that easy to get a replacement that this is worth it, what with people having to wait months to get theirs? And I'm assuming the scratch was there out of the box, right? I dunno, doesn't seem worth it to me, but I do understand how small flaws can be annoying.

9. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it's sort of a chip as well because you can feel it with your fingernail.

10. maerz001 macrumors 6502

maerz001

As annoying it might be now. In a few weeks you will have dozens of scratches all over your shiny new tool. It's just a computer meant to be used. Be a man:)

11. Uplift macrumors 6502

"It'll be scratched in a few weeks" does not justify it have scratches out of the box.

12. mwalter macrumors member

In my experience, you can't go by the Apple Store site or the phone reps. You have to go to a physical store and talk to a salesperson.

13. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

It's not just a scratch, you can feel the indent into the metal case so it's more of a chip.

14. Markeuse94 macrumors newbie

Markeuse94

I have kind of the same problem, in my case between two keys. What did you do? Did you try to get it replaced?
    20170110_195932.jpg

15. wittyphrase macrumors regular

I know it's small and it's unlikely to affect your use, but 1) these things are expensive so expecting them to be cosmetically flawless isn't unreasonable and 2) I've always taken cosmetic imperfections that sneak by as potential indicators that something else more important might have been overlooked with a device.

Unless you cannot go without a laptop for any period of time it might take to get the replacement (as in, this is the only thing you've got and you will lose work by not having access to it), you should exchange it. I've heard if you call instead of doing it through email/support you can make arrangements to hold your current one until you receive the new one - they'll just put a hold on your card.

16. maerz001 macrumors 6502

maerz001

This chip is smaller than a pixel:) just get a life and focus

17. jerryk macrumors 68030

I wonder how much all of these returns costs us. I know people want a "perfect" systems, but each system sent back cannot be sold as new. So if it is sold at 20% discount as a refurbished that is money they have to make up somewhere. My guess an ops guy like Tim will just raise the price across the board to budget for x.xx% return rate.

Since I am an Apple stockholder, maybe I should added this to the question to ask at the next shareholders meeting, Feb 28.

18. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

Mine was certainly larger but I just returned it because I was within my two weeks and ordered another one which doesn't have any scratches.

19. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

The space grey 2016 models seem to be coming with a lot of cosmetic imperfections, any reports on silver ones?

20. HerbertDerb macrumors regular

HerbertDerb

Lol, that doesnt make any sense man.

You cant justify poor quality control on machine that costs this much, just by saying "oh, dont return it. It will lower my stock prices and will rise the future prices of products!"

21. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

More alarming than the scratch is the weathering on those keys. It looks consistent with many years of use. Yikes!

22. sneak3 macrumors 6502

23. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I picked up a 13" tbMBP last night from Apple and I went over that thing six times over making sure the laptop was in perfect cosmetic condition. The Apple Store guy completely understood. These damn things are way too expensive to be settling for nothing but perfection. At least that's how I see it.