Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Hey all,

Just purchased my new MacBook Pro 13" with touchbar and I noticed a scratch near the speaker here, everything else with the laptop seems fine so I'm wondering if it's even worth returning over?

jVZ2uQI.jpg

Reactions: ronaldcastillo

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Hey all,

Just purchased my new MacBook Pro 13" with touchbar and I noticed a scratch near the speaker here, everything else with the laptop seems fine so I'm wondering if it's even worth returning over?

jVZ2uQI.jpg

Send it back and get a new one. In the future that scratch will remind you of the missed opportunity of not having sent it back. If you pay such a high price for a laptop, you should expect for it to be in prestine condition.

Reactions: Oppie1 and ag29

augenleet

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2016
I'm replacing my second 15" (as soon as it's back in stock) because of similar flaws. I wouldn't want to live with that considering it's the most expensive piece of technology I've bought and the future resale value.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I wouldn't accept mine if it had a retina pixel sized scratch. These things are expensive, it better damn be perfect.

I also personally wouldn't buy a scratched pre-owned Macbook, assuming others are the same, it could impact resale-ability.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Thanks, I guess I'll be calling them tonight. Are they able to ship me one faster than the estimated shipping on their site?

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
Is it really that easy to get a replacement that this is worth it, what with people having to wait months to get theirs? And I'm assuming the scratch was there out of the box, right? I dunno, doesn't seem worth it to me, but I do understand how small flaws can be annoying.

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
Is it really that easy to get a replacement that this is worth it, what with people having to wait months to get theirs? And I'm assuming the scratch was there out of the box, right? I dunno, doesn't seem worth it to me, but I do understand how small flaws can be annoying.

Yeah, it's sort of a chip as well because you can feel it with your fingernail.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
As annoying it might be now. In a few weeks you will have dozens of scratches all over your shiny new tool. It's just a computer meant to be used. Be a man:)

Reactions: myscrnnm

appleincognito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2014
It's not just a scratch, you can feel the indent into the metal case so it's more of a chip.

wittyphrase

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2017
New York
I have kind of the same problem, in my case between two keys. What did you do? Did you try to get it replaced?
View attachment 684276

I know it's small and it's unlikely to affect your use, but 1) these things are expensive so expecting them to be cosmetically flawless isn't unreasonable and 2) I've always taken cosmetic imperfections that sneak by as potential indicators that something else more important might have been overlooked with a device.

Unless you cannot go without a laptop for any period of time it might take to get the replacement (as in, this is the only thing you've got and you will lose work by not having access to it), you should exchange it. I've heard if you call instead of doing it through email/support you can make arrangements to hold your current one until you receive the new one - they'll just put a hold on your card.

Reactions: Markeuse94

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I wonder how much all of these returns costs us. I know people want a "perfect" systems, but each system sent back cannot be sold as new. So if it is sold at 20% discount as a refurbished that is money they have to make up somewhere. My guess an ops guy like Tim will just raise the price across the board to budget for x.xx% return rate.

Since I am an Apple stockholder, maybe I should added this to the question to ask at the next shareholders meeting, Feb 28.

HerbertDerb

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2017
I wonder how much all of these returns costs us. I know people want a "perfect" systems, but each system sent back cannot be sold as new. So if it is sold at 20% discount as a refurbished that is money they have to make up somewhere. My guess an ops guy like Tim will just raise the price across the board to budget for x.xx% return rate.

Since I am an Apple stockholder, maybe I should added this to the question to ask at the next shareholders meeting, Feb 28.

Lol, that doesnt make any sense man.

You cant justify poor quality control on machine that costs this much, just by saying "oh, dont return it. It will lower my stock prices and will rise the future prices of products!"

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
The space grey 2016 models seem to be coming with a lot of cosmetic imperfections, any reports on silver ones?

I picked up a 13" tbMBP last night from Apple and I went over that thing six times over making sure the laptop was in perfect cosmetic condition. The Apple Store guy completely understood. These damn things are way too expensive to be settling for nothing but perfection. At least that's how I see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.