Macbook Pro Screen blotches. Applecare est. Ship date 4/21/2008 wayy too long!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by e12a, Mar 13, 2008.

1. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

So i brought my computer in for service today, after a friend of mine noticed two blotches toward the center of the screen and I didnt notice it until recently too. They look almost like clouds, and can be seen from a distance as well as at a slight angle. With a white background it is really obvious. I've already tried wiping the screen down with iKlear and another tech said that this is an issue with his as well. He replaced his LCD 3 times. Its really annoying and i cant focus on my work with those clouds disrupting my view. Another tech also noticed that the LCD was leaking light from the bottom and that I had uneven illumination.

it is a 2.33 15" Macbook Pro. Bought new in 2006, with AppleCare. Religiously handled and there are no dents or scratches. I have already gotten the battery and magsafe replaced on a different occasion.

I took it to an apple service provider (my university bookstore) and they told me apple did not have the part in stock. Also, the estimated ship date was 4/21/2008. Thats right, a month and then some to actually ship it, and that doesnt include the time putting it in.

I do a lot of photo work and i am also a student with deadlines. I cant have dim blotches on my screen for photo work and I really need a good working computer. I plan to call AppleCare tomorrow and ask what to do. I did not pay 240 dollars on Applecare to wait a month in just receiving the part. :mad:

any tips on what i should do?

2. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

wow, that seems like an unacceptable timeframe; however, if it has been 2 years, a month isn't too long. Additionally, maybe if you put up enough of a fuss they will just hand you a new penryn MBP ?

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Call AppleCare. Tell them that you are a student and waiting over a month is totally unacceptable. Most likely they will ask if you will take a new machine. There was somebody a few weeks ago that had a similar problem. Good luck!

4. e12a thread starter macrumors 68000

e12a

well, i didnt really notice them until a week ago..cleaning my screen against a white wallpaper. First i thought it was because of burn-in but i have a screensaver... then the other day my friend said it was pretty obvious and he had the same problem and got his replaced (1st gen MBP). But his was received and replaced in the next 2 days....Maybe this is such a common problem that they ran out of LCDs?!?

I'd expect a week...but a whole month? where do they get these things.

thanks for the tips on calling AppleCare. I'm doing that the first thing after class ends. I also use my MBP to take notes in school...not good.

5. e12a thread starter macrumors 68000

e12a

So no one else had the problem of screen spots or dealt with AppleCare on the phone before?

6. comptr macrumors 65816

well I had the same problem and they replaced my macbook pro with a new penryn macbook pro. Go to a apple store do not call apple care and or go to a university store. They replaced my whole computer with a brand new sealed computer it took two weeks.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah you can also send some emails to executives at Apple. I'm sure they will take care of it. Just don't email Jobs.

Be sure to be professional and courteous.

8. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Anyone in particular you would recommend emailing?

9. e12a thread starter macrumors 68000

e12a

I called AppleCare and they were no help. Basically they told me that I had no choice but to wait over a month for the LCD. I'm going to an applestore later today to discuss with them.

it is unacceptable because I do a lot of photo work (refer to my avatar) and a month is way too long. What if i wasnt a student and my career depended on this? Not cool.

If i shouldnt email jobs then who do I email? Thanks.

10. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Can you please go to system preferences ->displays->color->color LCD->open profile->#13->model and say what the model is? i.e. 09C60?

11. e12a thread starter macrumors 68000

e12a

12. e12a thread starter macrumors 68000

e12a

thanks for the tip. Was yours a 2nd gen (2.16 or 2.33)? What did you say to them? i'm sure they didnt just hand you a new one right off the bat...did it take persuasion? Do they take the old computer too?

That could be a problem. I have finals next week.

13. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

when it comes to even illumination and light bleeding, yes it is known to have problems, but not so with blotches or dead pixels.

I've noticed though that once the laptop display warms up, the uneven illumination becomes better (more even), perhaps even more so than some of the newer LEDs.