Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
hi there, on my 15inch macbook pro the delete key and the space key no longer work? please help me as i find it really frustrating

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
Well in the uk Its sunday and apple lines are closed.... and i need desperatley to use my macbookpro and the keyboard "space" and "delete" key have stoped working!!! please help! as i really need to get some important school work done..

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
onemacmini said:
Well in the uk Its sunday and apple lines are closed.... and i need desperatley to use my macbookpro and the keyboard "space" and "delete" key have stoped working!!! please help! as i really need to get some important school work done..
Did you try a restart?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Do you have an external USB keyboard to hook up to your computer? It'll help you determine whether or not it's a issue with the MBP keyboard or a problem with the operating system.

onemacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Hertfordshire
Well just tried my bluetooth keyboard and it worked fine. the space key and delete key stopped working a while back but then was fine again...but now they wont work.... And yes i tried restarting and software updates.. aswell as the disk utility permissions

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
onemacmini said:
Well just tried my bluetooth keyboard and it worked fine. the space key and delete key stopped working a while back but then was fine again...but now they wont work.... And yes i tried restarting and software updates.. aswell as the disk utility permissions

I see lots of spaces between your words on your posts... So I assume it works :confused:

raafa

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
loose contact, wiring problem

hi, it sounds like you may have had (pretty old post i guess) the same problem as i have. it is a hardware problem! no question about it. i found this link very useful:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1365569&tstart=75

took me ages to find it, so i thought i'd make it a bit easier for others that are also trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with their computer.

ciao

rickschmoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
Keyboard diagnosis with built-in Keyboard Viewer app

Before opening up your chassis / lugging your computer to the Apple Store, do some diagnosis with MacOS's built-in Keyboard Viewer.

My issue was similar to those described here and elsewhere:
- delete key not working
- up/down arrow equivalent to page up/page down
- space bar not working intermittently

Use the Keyboard Viewer as follows:
1. Open System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard sub-tab -> check the "Show Keyboard and Character Viewer in menu bar" checkbox
2. Click the little window icon which appears top-right next to your battery meter, and select the "Show Keyboard Viewer" menu option
3. A small window will appear showing your Mac keyboard. Each key is highlighted with each keystroke.

Hey presto! Using the Keyboard Viewer, I could immediately see my problem - the Function ('fn' key) at the bottom left of my keyboard was sticking.

Since Macbook keyboards are really hard to get at (see Wired Gadgetlab), and what the hell - its an old computer - I just removed the function key and the keyboard is back to normal. Yay. Good luck!

hckr4evr

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
Solution!

Here's the solution (worked for me):

Shut down the laptop, remove the battery completely and restart (without it).

The battery is the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.