Macbook pro suddenly shuts off and won't open till a couple of hours.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raver318, May 9, 2014.

1. raver318 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

So I've had this problem from my macbook since months ago. It sometimes just shuts off by itself, the screen turning black and won't turn on until like after a few hours (sometimes a day, but sometimes you could also immediately open it just like that.)

When it shuts off and you plug the adapter it is still charging, the lights on the side of the macbook book still lights up just fine if you press the button on the side. the only problem is that it wont open until after a few minutes, hours or days (very unpredictable) (also tapping the macbook helps, I dont know if it "really" helps or not, but it works sometimes.) But when it open it will be working fine until another couple of weeks or 3 or a month (again unpredictable)

I dont know what's wrong with my laptop, please help me. It would be greatly appreciated! thank you so much in advance!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like a hardware failure, I'd take it into apple.

From my uneducated eyes it seems like something is heating up and breaking a connection (or shorting out) and until it cools down and contracts you cannot do anything.