Macbook Pro + TB Display + Another Vendor For 2nd Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Handsome Bacon, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

I'm having no luck getting this to work.

Currently using a mid 2012 MBP with the newest TB display. I have an extra Samsung 27" 1920 x 1080 monitor with HDMI input. I have tried the following: Mini Display port HDMI adapter > HDMI cable > Samsung. No luck, my MBP doesn't detect the Samsung. Is there another way to do this? Maybe a straight MDP to HDMU cable (skip the adapter altogether)?

Not going to ruin my day if I cannot do this, but wouldn't mind putting that 2nd monitor to use. Thanks!

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

According to this http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5219#18 you cannot attach a mini display port device to a Thunderbolt Display -

20. Can I connect a Mini DisplayPort display to my Apple Thunderbolt Display for computers that support using more than one display?

Mini DisplayPort displays will not function if connected to the Thunderbolt port of an Apple Thunderbolt Display. Displays connected via Mini DisplayPort video adapter or cable to the Thunderbolt port of an Apple Thunderbolt Display will not work.

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Go MBP -> THundebolt display -> other TB -> other display

The other TB just needs to be another thunderbolt device with two ports (in and out). You can't hook another monitor directly to the TBD, but if you add say a desktop hard drive with TB you can hook the monitor to that.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is actually how many people got Cinema Displays to work in a chain with newer Thunderbolt Displays.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

True?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. You can daisy chain Thunderbolt displays. However, that depends on the GPUs. Some computer can daisy chain two, while some can only drive one.

One cannot simply hook a Cinema Display to the back of a Thunderbolt Display and get it to work to my knowledge. One must always use a hard drive or a Thunderbolt Dock to put both into use.

You could go Mac --> Thunderbolt Dock --> Port 1 --> Thunderbolt Display, Port 2 --> Cinema Display.

Or you can go Mac --> Thunderbolt Display --> Thunderbolt Hard Drive or other device --> Cinema Display.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Well considering all you are saying is exactly what I already posted AND this thread is about a 2012 MBP, then the GPU is not an issue.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That won't work. Thunderbolt docks only have one input & one output. You could, however, do:

Mac --> Thunderbolt Display --> Thunderbolt dock --> Cinema Display

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If the Thunderbolt Dock has two or more Thunderbolt ports it would work. This also depends on the dock manufacturer.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Thunderbolt doesn't work that way. It's a chain, it can't be "hubbed". A device can have one input, and zero or one outputs - not two or more.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am mistaken. I will now bow down to the Demi-God.

12. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

You can also connect the TB display to one TB port on your MBP, and connect the Samsumg and mini display port adapter to the second TB port on your MBP. This is what I do, and it works fine.

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Given the question I'm assuming non-Retina MacBook Pro, so only one TB port

14. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe