Macbook pro to LG LCD TV for movies etc

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elvtnedge, Apr 8, 2009.

1. elvtnedge macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some help and have searched and haven't found answers. I have an aluminum macbook pro and I just picked up an apple minidisplay port to VGA. I've connected this to my LG 42" LCD TV (42LC7D is the model). I've adjusted the TV settings to the max resolution which happens to be 1360X768, although in the manual it does list 1366X768. In anycase, I was really hoping for a much better picture on the TV. I've installed switchresX and poked around with it, but I just wondered if this is the best I can possibly get with the resolution of my TV (which isnt 1080p). I know there is now a minidisplay to HDMI adapter available, and I was wondering if that would give me better quality. I'd like to beable to watch movies from the mac to the TV from time to time and maybe even watch a couple 1080p movies from the mac to the TV.

Thanks and I apologize if this has been answered before but like I said I can't find anything. A link to the users manual can be found here:

http://www.communityucc.org/resources/LG_TV.pdf

just an edit... Also I was wondering if there was a way to see 1440 X 900 on the mac and 1360 x 768 on the TV but at the same time. Right now I am just using the video mirroring option.. is this the right way to do this?

2. elvtnedge thread starter macrumors regular

3. LifeIsCheap macrumors regular

Page 27 of the manual says you should be able to run the TV at full res. You need to uncheck the 'Mirror Displays' under the arrangement tab of the Displays system preference panel.

If you then click the Display tab in the same preference panel, you should see a box pop up on both screens, each showing the optimal resolution for that screen.

If you want to rearrange their layout relative to each other, just go back to the Arrangement tab and drag the screens around.

It should do what you want. I'm running the same setup here at home!