MacBook Pro to Samsung HDTV Minidisplay Port > HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weasel1790, Dec 28, 2010.

1. weasel1790 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a brand new 55' Samsung HDTV, LCD-LED, 1080p, 120hz. I want to use it as an external display with my 13' MacBook Pro. I am trying to do this with a Minidisplay Port > HDMI that I have used before. It worked previously on a 47' Proscan HDTV, 1080p, 240hz flawlessly, which is why this problem is very confusing.

When I connect the two, the laptop recognizes that it is connected to another display, it even shows that it is Samsung. However, nothing shows up on the screen whether it is in mirror mode or not. I have tried to adjust the resolution settings, maybe I still have yet to find the right one, but nothing has worked. The laptop flashes the light blue screen that it does when it is connected to an external display every time, but nothing seems to change. Any solutions or help with this problem would be great, thanks.

2. robotfist macrumors member

Me too.

I have the exact the same problem as you. Just bought a 55" LED Samsung TV last week. I'm going from the minidisplay port to the HDMI/DVI input on the Samsung via a minidisplay port to HDMI cable. My Macbook detects the Samsung TV but the Samsung doesn't detect anything. It's been pretty frustrating.

3. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I have an older (by about 2 yrs) Samsung 40" HDTV, and I've had no problem hooking my MBP up via Mini-Display Port > HDMI. Now, I do have to tell the TV that the input is coming from the "PC" (it's one of 3 sources for input. HDMI 1 is the Cable Box, HDMI 2 is my blu-ray Player, HDMI 3 is "PC"), but other than that, it works beautifully.

Have you tried switching which HDMI port it's being plugged in to? I do recall an issue when I moved some stuff around, and accidentally got the Blu-Ray player & Cable Box cables mixed up (Blu-Ray went into the HDMI 1 spot, rather than the cable box), but once I switched them back, it worked fine.

4. ihonda macrumors 68000

i have a 58" sammy plasma and it works fine.. maybe check your adapter. did you get the update that was issued for the macbook MDP?

5. killerjoon macrumors newbie

I have a Mac pro computer and a new Samsung LN40C630 TV. I hooked up my computer to the TV using a DVI to HDMI cable and I'm not getting great results. Initially the Mac Pro set the image for overscan. If I turn off overscan the image is quite a bit smaller than it should be on screen. Is there a trick to getting this to work?