MacBook Pro: Too Hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rossagues, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Rossagues macrumors regular

Rossagues

I have noticed recently that while my mac chargers, it gets REALLY hot.

The top left side of my MacBook Pro is too hot to touch and the iStat Temp section shows the CPU to be mostly 90 degrees + even when not in use. The MagSafe Charger tip is even so hot it burns my finger to touch.

Whats going on, is it the charger faulty or the MacBook Pro itself?

Thanks,

Ross

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

At work I tend to handle very hot circuit boards as they're coming out of the oven. I've been doing this for a couple years now. Anyway, I used to think that my MBP got very hot near the hinge, but now it doesn't seem so bad.

If it is actually so hot it burns you, you should stop using the Magsafe adapter and take it into an Apple store. Do you see any burned or melted plastic on the connector or in the plug?

3. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Is that Celsius or Fahrenheit?

How many processes are running? There has to be something running in the background for the CPU to be that hot all the time.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Under heavy load thats normal.
    Mine goes around 80~95C.

Your CPU can handle up to 100C.

Also as a tip, open up your MBP and clean your fan.
    Getting the dust out clears the airflow making the heat decrease a little.

Plus, the charger gets really hot when you use heavy load app as well.

5. Queen6, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Take the MBP to Apple ASAP the machine should not get overly hot when charging unless you are putting the computer under heavy load at the same time. People here are confusing workload and charging, a MBP at idle will only feel slightly warm to the touch while charging, if your system is continuously hot there may be other issue, runaway process etc. however if it runs relatively cool at idle and subsequently heats up to 90C only when the MagSafe is connected there is certainly something requiring attention.