Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just a day after the first MacBook Pro with Touch Bar orders began arriving to customers, a select number of Apple retail stores have received stock and are offering limited quantities of the new machine.

MacRumors reader Nicholas was able to purchase a new 15-inch MacBook Pro at the Apple Store in La Brea, California, and according to a Reddit thread, several other stores across California have also been selling Touch Bar MacBook Pro models. New MacBook Pros have been spotted in Rancho Cucamonga, Fairview, Emeryville, and Walnut Creek, and one Redditor claims to have purchased a 13-inch MacBook Pro from the Soho Apple Store in New York, while a MacRumors reader says he found a MacBook Pro in New Jersey.

macbookpromodelssideview-800x405.jpg

In other parts of the United States, stores do not yet have Touch Bar MacBook Pro models available for purchase, but multiple customers have been told to expect the machines to be in stock starting tomorrow. At some locations, however, customers have been told no MacBook Pro models will be available before Thanksgiving, so country-wide in-store availability may not happen for a few weeks.

Along with limited stock, Apple retail stores are expected to have display models on hand before the end of the week. In Hong Kong, the Touch Bar MacBook Pro has been on display since yesterday, and several customers have reported being told that display models will be in stores as soon as Wednesday.

In store pickup is not available for the new MacBook Pros, so customers hoping to skip the 4 to 5 week wait for a Touch Bar machine will need to call or visit an Apple retail store in person to check stock levels.

Article Link: MacBook Pro With Touch Bar Now Available for Purchase at Some Apple Retail Stores

Last edited:

mario b

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
The MacBook Pro wasn't available in Mexico and other countries, mostly in Latin America until today. I just bought mine. : )

Reactions: ikir

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Not going to purchase it, but I hope at least that when I visit the mall this Friday, they're at least on display to try them. When I visited the mall earlier this month, even the non-touchbar models weren't on display (though the 11" MBA was removed, you sneaky bastards).

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
The touchpad and screen are amazing (I tried them out at a Best Buy on the entry level non touchbar model), but the price is outrageous this time. Good thing I am not due to upgrade until next year...

Reactions: chrismail627

ShadovvMoon

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
"In store pickup is not available for the new MacBook Pros, so customers hoping to skip the 4 to 5 week wait for a Touch Bar machine will need to call or visit an Apple retail store in person to check stock levels."
What? I picked 'In store pickup' for my new MacBook Pro...

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I feel quite bad for the Apple Store staff who I suspect are going to have to give the same answers to questions about adapters and dongles over and over again regarding these machines. I'm sure a large percentage of customers will have researched it beforehand and know what they're buying into if they decide to get one of these, but still...

Reactions: ikir

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
"In store pickup is not available for the new MacBook Pros, so customers hoping to skip the 4 to 5 week wait for a Touch Bar machine will need to call or visit an Apple retail store in person to check stock levels."
What? I picked 'In store pickup' for my new MacBook Pro...

I think they just mean you cannot order online for in store pick up for the locations that have them today.

Reactions: ShadovvMoon

ricky1989

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
Does anyone question why it take Apple so long to have the computer ready for display and shipment? When the retina MBP first came out, it started shipping on the day of the announcement. What have TC done to Apple with all the bling and tight grip operation structure....

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
Are these stores licensed to sell Apple products and MacBook Pro computers?

Its quite shocking to see those computers in Apple Stores to be honest.

Reactions: RadOnc

esteban12

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
Lodi, CA
Just spoke with someone at Walnut Creek Apple. He said the store received 3 today but sold out as soon as they received them. I was hoping to score one but arrived to late.

Reactions: ikir and AJ5790

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
My 15" order is for store pickup in Socal and it's still not available to pickup yet, but stores have them around here? Apple... I better get an email tomorrow.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I feel quite bad for the Apple Store staff who I suspect are going to have to give the same answers to questions about adapters and dongles over and over again regarding these machines. I'm sure a large percentage of customers will have researched it beforehand and know what they're buying into if they decide to get one of these, but still...
They probably have a stock of prepared answers, recited several times in a backroom presentation to staff, ready to diffuse all customer questions.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
This years stocking stuffers, Apple adapters and dongles.

Why not a big sack of whine... Seems to be all the rage around here...
[doublepost=1479258605][/doublepost]

Anyone "asking", is just throlling, like most of the people constantly playing the tiny violin around here.

You know what your buying, and Apple's stuff has always been at the high end, in fact in the past
it has been proportionally much more expensive than now.
If someone can't afford the $200-300 extra, that person is certainly not buying this thing for work
that needs a bit of processing power or the highest quality build or attention to details,
and should probably buy something else.

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
They probably have a stock of prepared answers, recited several times in a backroom presentation to staff, ready to diffuse all customer questions.

I'm sure you're right. Let me predict some of those answers...

'Buy the adapter'
'Buy the other adapter'
'Buy the other other adapter'
'Let me just check for you... yes, you can buy the adapter'
'No, that requires an adapter'
'No, the adapters cost more on top'
'Yeah, sorry, but at least you can buy the adapters for now!'

Those answers might satisfy some customers, but it might not really work for some others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.