MacBook Pro Touch Bar Solution

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
I'm a writer. I write fast. My fingers fly over the keyboard, which means they sometimes graze the touchbar and activate things I do not want popping up. It was getting aggravating to the point where I was going to only use my new 16" MBP at home for non-writing intensive tasks and get a backup MBP without the TB.

I did not want to fool around with some kind of third party solution. Those tend to solve one problem and create new ones, or they'll be OK for a while and suddenly get into conflict with a new OS version. Or the author will get rich, move to the Bahamas, and stop updating it. I wanted an all-Apple solution and was just about to purchase a used, older model MBP sans TB when I hit on a solution so stupid simple I can't believe I didn't think of it prior.

No, I didn't put tape over the Touch Bar. I went into preferences and edited what shows up on it. I removed everything from the middle and left only the volume, keyboard backlight, and screen brightness control and put a big space right in the middle. My fingers still brush the TB, but now nothing happens, nothing interrupts my workflow. I didn't need that other stuff anyway. The answer was right there in front of me the whole time, literally. I'm now loving this computer even more.

faust

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a writer. I write fast. My fingers fly over the keyboard, which means they sometimes graze the touchbar and activate things I do not want popping up. It was getting aggravating to the point where I was going to only use my new 16" MBP at home for non-writing intensive tasks and get a backup MBP without the TB.

I did not want to fool around with some kind of third party solution. Those tend to solve one problem and create new ones, or they'll be OK for a while and suddenly get into conflict with a new OS version. Or the author will get rich, move to the Bahamas, and stop updating it. I wanted an all-Apple solution and was just about to purchase a used, older model MBP sans TB when I hit on a solution so stupid simple I can't believe I didn't think of it prior.

No, I didn't put tape over the Touch Bar. I went into preferences and edited what shows up on it. I removed everything from the middle and left only the volume, keyboard backlight, and screen brightness control and put a big space right in the middle. My fingers still brush the TB, but now nothing happens, nothing interrupts my workflow. I didn't need that other stuff anyway. The answer was right there in front of me the whole time, literally. I'm now loving this computer even more.
Congratulations!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.