MacBook Pro Unibody Series > Can you adjust battery recharge % from the default 95%?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snowsean, Jan 10, 2010.

1. snowsean macrumors newbie

In my 2009 MBP 17, the battery will only begin to recharge at 95%--which is a great feature.

However, I'm always making quick jumps from the home to the office and it uses about 1% in Sleep for each trip. So, after a week, the battery will recharge from 94 back to 100.

Is there any way I can adjust the battery so that it only recharges when it reaches 90% or even 85% instead of the default 95%-back-to-100%?

Many thanks=

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It's probably better to charge once a week than less often, although keeping the battery at or near 100% isn't great for it. Make sure you use the laptop on battery power every so often (maybe once a month) to refresh the battery. Some people will say to calibrate it once a month (drain the battery all the way down until the computer shuts off then let it sit at least 5 hours, then let it charge uninterrupted), but that only adjusts the health and battery life readings and won't do any more to extend the life of the battery than using the battery regularly.

I odn't know of any way to change the charge threshold. If the battery controls charging, it might not be possible.

4. Inside_line macrumors regular

Anyone else want this feature besides the OP? I would be a fan of this feature.... post up if you'd like this setting. Given enough people maybe we can ask someone at apple about adding this.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can always ask someone at Apple to add this, it just won't happen.

6. Inside_line macrumors regular

Then perhaps a 3rd party would be interested if they know there's cash in it? Something of the likes of Magnus... I emailed him a while back but haven't heard anything. Maybe if enough people start making their voices heard....

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why not just use it until you get down to 90% or 85% and plug in the power adapter?

8. Inside_line macrumors regular

That would be 1 solution, but not optimal nor elegant... we really need a method to "pause" battery charging altogether, or a slider to control the charge threshold. I recommend everyone give your $0.02 here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/