Macbook Pro Unibody takes longer to see 160 gb X-25m?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, Apr 30, 2009.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

So when I had my 80 X-25M I could swear that the Mac sees it quicker and boots quicker. However since I've cloned the 80 to my new 160 I'm noticing that the Mac seems to take a while to recognise the drive before it gets into it's boot sequence.

Since the X-25M's don't fit in my existing enclosures I had to clone the drive to a hard disk and then swap it out , boot from external and clone it to the new one but that shouldn't have made the drive any different in terms of it's layout.

So just curious if anybody else has noticed this or not.

Can anybody speak to how long it takes for their machine to see the drive?

For me it's at least 20 seconds before the boot sequence actually starts which is a lot longer than is expected and certainly a lot longer than the 80 gb X-25M drive.

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

Something similar happened with my OCZ SSD drives when cloning. Using the new cloned drive, it took a lot longer to boot than the original drive, so I tried doing a fresh install on the new drive and it booted with no problems.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. aleni macrumors 68020

this happened to me when i installed corsair ssd a few days ago.

make sure the SSD is partitioned as a GUID, not a MBR.

after that try repairing permissions and then resetting PRAM by holding cmd, opt, P, R at the same time when u start up the computer until the chime sounds twice then release it.

5. aleni macrumors 68020

btw no, u don't need a fresh install.

6. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

good to know i didn't mean to give out wrong information.