MacBook Pro update missing at MWSF?

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by elgrecomac, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816


    Jan 15, 2008
    San Diego
    After all the speculation, not one word about the refresh on the macbook and macbook pro with the penryn processors. So now the question is ....should I buy the existing model or wait for, potentially, several months for the new models?

  2. AVMasterpiece macrumors newbie

    Jun 5, 2006
    Join with me and others in waiting. It should be within the next two months. I am still on a Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz, and I've was originally going to wait for leopard, but then leopard was pushed back, and at a time that was too close to an expected update of the MBP. Hang in there, it's soon.
  3. jk000 macrumors regular


    Jan 14, 2008
    i don't think i can wait any longer, i badly need a MBP i honestly thought this would be it
  4. tranceteria macrumors newbie

    Jan 15, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I am very dissapointed as well, I was holding on buying it since last year and looking anxiously forward to this MacWorld, I even had to go work at this years CES on my very old Laptop. It's very sad :( not having any MBP updates.
  5. RHD macrumors 6502

    Jan 14, 2008
    Me too. I'm trying to do 3D for work on a 1 GIG TiBook.
    I was sure there would be a refresh this week.
  6. ImperialX macrumors 65816


    Jul 17, 2007
    Tokyo, Japan
    From the Buyer's Guide:

    "On November 1st, Apple added a 2.6 GHz processor option and 250 GB Hard Drive BTO options, but the remainder of the MacBook Pro line remained the same. This seems unlikely to represent a true update, but may push off a true revision a few months."

    Date since Update: 224 (Avg = 186)

    You might have to wait some more. What I don't understand is why you people are complaining. If you desperately need one, get one now. The MBP is a superb machine. If you don't, then wait another month or so, and the update is sure to follow.
  7. RHD macrumors 6502

    Jan 14, 2008
    We're complaining because we are going to have to pay the same amount now as we would if we wait for the new ones which will probably have the
    whizzy new track pads, improved screens, Penryn processors, zippier graphics cards et al, and in the light of the fact that these upgrades are fairly likely, we've been holding off a few months, some of us struggling with woefully underpowered machines for our professional requirements, to make our hard earned (or expensively borrowed) go as far as possible. It's all very well to be blase if you've money to burn.
  8. simie macrumors 6502a


    Aug 26, 2004
    Intel are expected to release a Quad core processor this year, I reckon that the Mac Book Pro will be the first to be treated to this CPU.
  9. TheHomeRun macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2008
    This is my first post on MacRumors, how exciting!

    I agree that while Macbook Pros would be the first laptop to incorporate newer processors, if Intel were to release a quad-core processor it would not be seen in laptops for quite some time. This would probably be for the same reason the G5's were never put into laptops and the eventual switch to Intel; the processor would be either too hot or too big to immediately be put into a laptop and would have to be re-engineered. If Intel does release a new quad core processor, it will be long enough in the future that I would suggest getting a new Macbook pro now.

    BTW, I am still running on the original 17" Powerbook G4 and my wireless card just died (power adaptor is on the way out too). I would have bet money on new macbook pro upgrades yesterday and I am a little disappointed they didn't arrive. Where was the "one last thing"? I have been holding out for a major upgrade for some time. Still, the Air looks neat even if I think its real target audience is very small.

    We shall see what today brings if not the next few weeks.
  10. bnp macrumors newbie

    Dec 27, 2006
  11. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816


    Jan 15, 2008
    San Diego
    OK....pulled the ripcord this morning

    That settled it. I placed my order this morning. It will be delivered in about 7 days. Can't wait.....That means they will release the penryn-based laptops in 2
  12. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816


    Sep 30, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Apple really messed up this year.
    iTunes rentals: don't care.
    Apple TV: don't care.
    MBA: WAY too expensive.
    iPod Touch update: rip-off, absolute joke.
    And no MacBook Pro.

    Way to go, Apple.
  13. GUSTO macrumors member


    Sep 23, 2003
    Why did they not update the macbook with the backlit keyboard and the new multi touch pad across the rest of the macbook and pro family. With no extra cost :)
  14. Lars1968 macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2008
    Same here with G4 1.67Ghz. Exactly the same motivation... And now there's big disapointment after the keynote.

    With the fixed battery the MBAir is no option for me and so join with you to wait for the MBPro upgrade... Hopefully it will not take to long - my HDD is running for so many hours now and I'm not sure how many more month it will stay free of errors (SMART status is clean).

    Would be nice to have the SDD option for the MBPro, too.
  15. Sannekita macrumors regular


    Nov 4, 2007
    I'll join you guys in the waiting game...
    As soon as they come up with a new MBP i'm buying one. I could really use one now!
  16. convert2mac macrumors member


    Jan 16, 2008
    As my name suggests, I will be a convert, when the MBP is updated. A good friend of mine got a MBP this past summer, loves it. Has been a PC owner for a long time. His success has convinced me to make the switch.

    I've been waiting for a few months, but not that surprised at the NON update. If it is getting the new notebook Intel chip that just started shipping from Intel like 3 weeks ago...why would anyone expect a product to be ready to ship worldwide with that chip that fast? I feel that is unrealistic. If you look at the MBP updates, they have taken longer every time for the last 4 updates. It would make sense to me that there may not be an update till June 2008. I hope not, but would not be surprised.

    It's hard to wait...but it will happen.
  17. Rich89 macrumors newbie

    Nov 28, 2007
    Im buying one now, it's worth it just for the fact that i won't waste so much time on these boards and rumour sites, what can we really expect anyway? I might upgrade when something BIG happens, but i dont care about penryn (which is late apparently) and it might have teething troubles anyway. You might end up waiting 2 or 3 months and then have to choose whether to wait for whats coming after that (possible redesign in summer) can't wait for my 1st mac :)
  18. syntectic99 macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2008
    Not worth waiting to buy a MBP

    Intel's recent plan has, and will continue to, upgrade mobile processors every 6-8 months, each being more of an incremental performance increase, rather than a revolutionary increase. The changes in technology are exciting: smaller form factor, more cores, faster bus speed, longer battery life, etc., and over the course of a couple of years results in a radical performance increase. But the jump in performance across individual iterations is not huge.

    As a result, it would seem that risk of buyer's remorse is limited, because what's coming out next will not be a radical improvement. And on the other hand, unless one can afford to purchase another machine every 6-8 months, buying a new machine now, or waiting a few months will still result in a less-than state-of-the-art machine a few months down the road.

    So why wait? Maybe a week or two, in case Apple is holding off to not steal thunder from the Air, but it's not worth waiting longer.
  19. davidnaquino macrumors newbie

    Aug 28, 2005
    MacBook Pro is no doubt due for an update. Having said that, it is still a vastly competitive option for the price. I think we all know that an update is coming. It would have seemed illogical for Apple to announce a new MacBook AND offer revisions to the current models simultaneously. It's just not their style. They layer announcements so that there is always something new, and always "browser" traffic in their online and brick and mortar stores.

    The MacBook Air to me is priced incorrectly when compared to the other notebook options from Apple... HOWEVER as a stand alone "innovative" "new" product, taken for what it is, and not held up to the other models, the pricing is then more attractive to me. It really comes down to need, and I'm in the same boat as many others. I need a faster mac then my PPC 2GHZ iMac, I'm not going to go backwards just because the enclosure is half an inch thick or buy a MBP (hopefully) very near revision. From personal experience: buy when you need it, period. Yes it will sting, but look at the history books, Apple made major revisions to the iMac and then a few months following revised significantly again. We are at their whim.

    As for me, I'm waiting. Unfortunately.
  20. Xenious macrumors 6502a

    Mar 22, 2004
    Texas, USA
    I'm hoping that they change the MBP keyboard to match the one on the air and add a multitouch trackpad. If they drop in those two things then I will buy my MBP that day.

    I love the new wireless keyboard and from what i can tell the one on the MBA is identical and backlit. I really really do not like the one on the MBP, so I am hoping this could be a replacement for it.

Share This Page