Macbook Pro USB-C Ports 40GBP - Macbook Pro Transfer Cable 400MPBS (Face Palm Emoji)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Inframan, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

I don't think the general public has any clue as to how revolutionary and how insanely fast USB-C is. I just now bothered to look up the transfer speeds and Holy **** its fast. The team that developed this USB must have gone nuts when they had their first successful transfer at 40GBP.

Anyway, whats up with the transfer cable that comes with the new MacBook Pro? 480 Megs? Thats like including double AA batteries for a Tesla P100D, lol.

Any good Transfer cable recommendations?

2. xmonkey, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

xmonkey macrumors 6502a

The cable that came with it was primarily designed for charging the laptop (and Apple calls it as such). Due to the high power wattage it needs to deliver sacrifices are made to transfer speed. This is actually pretty common on 3rd-party USB-C charging cables as well (the ones that do high wattage at least).

If you're looking for a cable to do the full 40Gbps you'll need a Thunderbolt 3 cable, which are pretty pricey at the moment, and also limited to shorter lengths. If you don't need that much then you can just use a normal USB-C 3.1 cable to get 10Gbps. Monoprice sells quite a few: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13034 and Apple is still running the discounts on the cables in their store/online.

Monoprice is advertising this one as able to deliver up to 100W and do 10GBps transfers: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13034

3. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

Thanks XMonkey! I totally didn't factor in the charging, lol. Ill definitely have a look at your cable suggestions :)

4. Ries macrumors 68000