[MacBook Pro] Very Hot when watching YouTube Video. I could cook eggs on the keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glumpfner, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Glumpfner macrumors regular

Hi there,

in October 2008 I bought my MacBook Pro Unibody (Details in my signature).

Since about 3-4 month is gets REALLY hot really fast, also the fan is very noisy now.
    Now I can have my MacBook turned off for the whole day, then turn it on, watch a YouTube video and the fan is going nuts and it gets really hot.

I made sure that the MacBook is on a flat surface, like a desk, but it still gets very hot. I can't even have the laptop on my lap anymore or else I would get burned through my jeans.
    Another problem is, that the fan is so loud, when I use my internal microphone with skype, people say they can't hear me cause of the noise!

When I touch the surface of the laptop around the ESC keep, I think I could actually cook an egg!

Here's a screen shot of the tempratures after booting up and watching YouTube for about 2 minutes.

The temprature goes above 80 Degress as well, depending if its on my lap or the desk. And yes I made sure that the back of the laptop is not covered.

Attached Files:

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Let's see.. where do I start.

1) You cannot cook eggs with only 80 deg C, unless you want it pretty raw.
    2) Flash is a horrible plug in for Macs. Have been and still is, blame Adobe for that.
    3) 80 deg C is not hot, I'm at 85 deg C right now on my MacBook Air.
    4) The fans speed up cause the system is getting hot, normal there
    5) Since it's been over a year now, have you cleaned out the dust in the heatsink? That can have a drastic impact in temps.

3. Glumpfner thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you ayeying for the fast answer.

How can I clean out the dusk since I can't open the MacBook it self?

Yeah well, when I got my mac, the fan never made any noises, not even when playing 3D games nor would it actually burn my skin through my jeans... which it does now! Can't have my MacBook on my laptop anymore :(

Its not just the Flash Plugin, also QuickTime, VLC, normal Word for Mac or Dreamweaver are increasing the temp and the fan drastically.

PS: 80C is enough to cook an egg.
    Egg white begins to coagulate at 62°C ;)

4. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

I've got to 97c:eek: beat that:cool:

to clean out dust you can get an air duster and just blow it into the vents
    or to do a better job take it apart and wipe down with soft cloth

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Unless you are very opposed to using beta-quality software, I would try Adobe Flash Player 10.1 beta. It noticeably reduced CPU usage on my MacBook Pro when compared with the 10.0 version of the player.